Advanced search

How to claim MA

(6 Posts)
Rebecca75 Fri 09-Nov-12 20:19:20

Hi, I'm self-employed and wondered what proof I have to show of earnings to claim MA...?? Is it just enough to have proof of NI contributions? I'm a reflexologist and get paid cash which I generally don't bank as I keep it separate to our income and use it as an emergency / treat fund. Now I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried that I won't be able to claim.
Any advice would be VERY welcome.
Thanks, Rebecca

FreelanceMama Fri 09-Nov-12 23:15:19

Have you been paying Class 2 national insurance? If so, then you don't need to do anything about proving self employed income. You have to confirm the period over which you paid NI - just putting dates on the form I think.

If you've not been paying it and don't have enough employed income during the test period then you'll get the minimum MA amount - about 30 quid I think!

Rebecca75 Sun 11-Nov-12 20:43:47

Oh, that's good news. I started paying in July so I will be able to claim as baby due 2nd May.

FreelanceMama Sun 11-Nov-12 22:38:32

That's good. You could always call the helpline - MA is managed by the Jobcentre, to check. I spoke to the National Insurance people too and they were really helpful.

MrAnchovy Mon 12-Nov-12 23:25:56

I spoke to the National Insurance people too and they were really helpful.

You must have been lucky. There are many threads on Mumsnet and other forums from self-employed people who have had totally incorrect information from the DWP/Job Centre about Maternity Allowance.

FreelanceMama Wed 14-Nov-12 00:25:26

it was the National Insurance helpline that was helpful (not the DWP/Jobcentre).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: