Talk

Advanced search

Help with travel expenses

(11 Posts)
browneyesblue Wed 07-Nov-12 18:49:07

I am self-employed, and a client has invited me to their Christmas drinks. I'd quite like to go, as I like the company and get on with the folks there, but does anyone know whether I'll be able to claim travel expenses?

AgentProvocateur Wed 07-Nov-12 19:06:48

No, I wouldn't. I'm a freelancer half the week, and a client the other half, so I know both sides. I think it would be really odd to bill for travel expenses to a social event.

browneyesblue Wed 07-Nov-12 20:01:20

Sorry, I meant claim travel expenses as a deduction on my tax return, not bill the client. I wasn't very clear.

I'm not sure if it's allowed or not though.

Tee2072 Wed 07-Nov-12 20:09:45

Shady, I think. Not really work related, even if it is a client.

I don't think I would.

browneyesblue Wed 07-Nov-12 20:12:52

Oh well - it was worth asking.

Thanks for the advice smile

scootle Wed 07-Nov-12 20:14:16

You absolutely can claim travel exp on your tax return. I am surprised you are even asking that. Claim all travel that is related to your work, which networking most definitely is.

Tee2072 Wed 07-Nov-12 20:16:10

For going to a party? That's not a work event, IMHO. Or even a networking event.

But I am not an accountant.

I wouldn't claim it.

IShallWearMidnight Wed 07-Nov-12 20:18:37

Christmas drinks with a client is certainly networking, I claim that kind of thing (bookkeeper).

browneyesblue Wed 07-Nov-12 20:37:09

A mixed response. Maybe I'll just see if I can book some work in earlier in the day, to be on the safe side.

MrAnchovy Wed 07-Nov-12 20:45:14

But I am not an accountant.

Probably best not to answer a question that only an accountant (or tax consultant) would know the answer to then grin

Travel to attend a meeting or an event with a client, or potential client, is deductible unless (i) you are providing (paying for) entertainment for the client, in which case the travel cost is treated as part of the entertainment cost and therefore not deductible or (ii) you also have a non-business relationship with the client and you are attending the meeting or event in that capacity.

Note also as a self employed person you are subject to the ridiculous rule that the business purpose must be the only purpose of the journey in order to claim it. So if you claim to fly to Edinburgh to go to a key client's Christmas party you can claim it unless you are so familiar with the client that you sleep with them while you are there! An employee on the other hand can claim this expense.

browneyesblue Wed 07-Nov-12 21:00:19

Nowhere near that familiar! Very interesting though, thank you.

Although I've met all my clients in person at least once, that majority of the work that I do is online, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to put a face with the name/voice at the other end of the phone. They are my largest, and most reliable, clients.

I am definitely not providing entertainment for them, and can only really justify the travel expense if I can claim it later. I just didn't want to do anything dodgy.

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now