Talk

Advanced search

Peer Mentoring Group - experiences

(7 Posts)
IrishSea Thu 25-Oct-12 16:59:04

I’m thinking of joining a ‘peer mentoring group’ and I was wondering if anyone has any insights and whether it’s worth while.

It’s organised by the Women’s Executive Networking group that I am a member of. The idea is that they arrange and facilitate 5 meetings over 6 months. There are approx 6-8 women per mentoring group and a mentor provided by the Women’s Executive group who is an executive coach. They help with advancing individual business & personal goals.

I’m at a bit of a cross roads career wise and unsure whether to continue with my current career with my current company, look for a similar role elsewhere or to do something completely different (related to my husbands business) that would mean being self employed for the first time in my life.

I’m hopeful the mentoring group will help give me some direction with the added benefit of introducing me to new interesting women.

Has anyone tried something like this before?
Thanks
IS

twentyten Sun 28-Oct-12 13:02:13

Those groups offer great support and encouragement and useful contacts. I have co led a group for freelancers which was really successful because of the commitment openness and generosity of the members. Are you sponsored by your company ? Confidentiality is key. I'd say go for it! It may lead you somewhere completely new !

Mrscoghoul Mon 29-Oct-12 14:59:01

That's a really interesting post OP as I am in a similar position to you - I'm on M/l with DC1, and due to go back to my old job in March. However, I'm at the point where I'd probably be looking for something else if I hadn't had DS, and I'm considering whether I should stay and put a part time request in (likely to be successful and I'm paid enough to make it worthwhile even after childcare), try and find something nearer to home (one of the problems with my current job is 2 hours commuting per day) or join my DH's new business (which I think could work, but I'm just a bit nervous about). I also have a business idea of my own that I'd like to develop but I'm nervous about that too!

Any tips on how I could find something like this local to me?

Thanks

twentyten Mon 29-Oct-12 18:20:11

Have a look at womens business networks-some are much better than others.Forward ladies mainly in the north east/north west is good and offers mentoring.Some pofessional institutions have mentoring schemes.

IrishSea Mon 29-Oct-12 22:04:56

Thanks for the replies twentyten. I'm paying for this myself as I don't want to have conflicted loyalties to my current company, especially if I decide it's best for me to leave. I'm really hoping it will be a supportive environment with some like minded people

Mrscoghoul, the networking group I belong to doesn't operate in the UK (I'm in Ireland), but I have found it excellent, really motivating. You should ask around, there are some women's groups for specific professions but there are plenty of 'generalist' groups also. As twentyten suggests, they can be of mixed quality, try a few out before you commit.

I have also found my local Chamber of Commerce is quite useful and they're a friendly bunch which helps. You could check yours out - this will be especially useful if you're going into business with your husband.

And if you're looking for inspiration, check out the 'how to make £1000 a month' thread which quickly turned into 'how to make £1000 a day', it will really help you feel like you can do anything!

Right, I'm signing up first thing tomorrow!

Thanks,
H

twentyten Mon 29-Oct-12 22:07:57

Go for itwink

twentyten Tue 30-Oct-12 17:43:36

I was going to add have a look at suzy greaves and her books-the big leap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now