Talk

Advanced search

Should I put the price on an advert?

(5 Posts)
MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 20-Oct-12 08:55:20

I'd be interested in any opinions....

I am a marketing freelancer who mainly serves a niche, which mainly means clients in central London. However I cannot shake the idea of trying to find some local clients.

My experience of potential local clients is based on a few networking events I attended when I started out at the start of last year. I only met sole traders who couldn't really afford my services (or rather what I want to charge) and didn't really seem to understand what I was talking about - which I appreciate could be more to do with my delivery!

Anyway there is a niace local mag which is read by most local residents, some of whom will own businesses. I have booked a quarter page advert offering a package "get your marketing sorted for 2013" (sic) with a price. The advertising contact at the mag (not that it is anything to do with him!!) questioned putting the price on the advert.

I understand that sometimes it is better to hook people in etc, but my feeling is that I won't be affordable to some/some will have NO idea what this costs and will be thinking £25 etc, so is it not better to be clear what my price is. The contact at the mag is now making me doubt myself!

Any thoughts?

BedHog Sat 20-Oct-12 09:12:39

I'm a sole trader. If I saw an advert with no price, I probably wouldn't call, as I'd assume marketing services would be too expensive.
I assume you have a price range according to how much work you do for a client, so you could put 'Prices from £x' and as long as 'x' isn't too high you should attract some interest. The lower you can get 'x', the more likely you will be to attract small businesses - if you can keep it under £100, even if that gives a very basic service, it will get initial interest which you can then increase with added extras.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 20-Oct-12 10:52:31

Hi

Thanks for the feedback, some good points. Will have a think about a menu of prices.

I think I am probably looking for orgs above sole traders, in size terms..however the mag might not be the best way to find them. I just want to try it!

Thanks again.

TalkinPeace2 Sat 20-Oct-12 17:13:37

On DHs website there are no prices - other than for his book that one pays for through paypal.
His day rate varies.
On various online directories it is quoted - but always with the caveat "plus expenses"
And the expenses can be substantial - explaining to the school in Cumbria that mileage would be quite high from Hampshire ....

in your situation OP I would put the wording "email me for a personalised quotation" instead of a price ....

maybenow Tue 23-Oct-12 10:40:09

I'd put 'prices from x...' and i'd probably make x a touch less than the actual price i'd want to do anything for... that way you weed out those that really haven't the funds to employ you but don't put off those who have the funds but aren't sure yet of your worth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now