Talk

Advanced search

So I have the idea for my business, Now what?

(12 Posts)
TerrorNotSoFrightened Thu 18-Oct-12 00:29:54

I want to start my own entertainment company. Background of this is that my DF runs his own karaoke business, has done for 15 years and I have hosted nights for him, covering his holidays etc. I can sing and am confident on the mic getting a party atmosphere going.

I want to start a business doing disco/karaoke which would be the entertainment for birthdays, weddings also doing children's parties, I am a make up artist so could also do face painting for the children.

So, as I said in the OP, I have the idea but I have no clue how to go about it. My dad can help me with things like equipment, software, things like that, but he kind of fell into it and does a few nights in the same pubs every week so has no experience of marketing or advertising, he has an accountant whereas I'd be hoping to do my own if I could.

Can any of you help me as to where to begin, what do I need to do?
I really don't know where to start.

Also any creative ideas would be greatly welcome, what would you look for in an entertainment package for your wedding,30th, 40th?
Would you hire a disco/karaoke for a childs birthday party? What kind of 'extras' would get me your business?

Thanks to anyone who read this far, it was a bit longer than I intended.

HeathRobinson Thu 18-Oct-12 01:48:20

Ok, I'd design a website, print some flyers and cards/beermats.

Could you approach a few pubs and offer an evening's entertainment at an 'introductory rate' with a view to leaving your beermats around (if the pub's ok with that). Poster on the door, flyers on the bar. The idea being that you're after publicity for your company, more than repeat business from the pub, although might not be bad?

What about offering to run a karaoke event at school fairs - again for publicity? You could show off your face painting skills too.

TerrorNotSoFrightened Thu 18-Oct-12 02:14:27

Those are great ideas. Thank you.
I have also been thinking it might be good to get a permanent Friday spot at a pub, weekly income but leaves Saturdays open for private functions.

If I were to run childrens entertainment for parties, would I need a background check do you think?is it a crb check its called? Off to investigate what type of things go down well at children's parties.

So my ideal work week would be..

Friday day/early evening=MUA work, wedding trial usually
Friday night=karaoke/disco in a pub
Sat morning=wedding make up
Sat afternoon = childrens party
Sat night = disco/karaoke at private function

Unlikely to fill all the spaces, but at least if I had Friday nights booked permanently it would be some income.

HeathRobinson Thu 18-Oct-12 22:02:46

That sounds like a good plan, Terror.

What about old people's homes, too?

Darchers2706 Thu 18-Oct-12 22:47:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Leverette Sun 21-Oct-12 19:36:59

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

InMySpareTime Sun 21-Oct-12 21:04:19

It was "mum's" that got my pedant senses tingling, but I agree "mummy fund" is twee and patronising.

TerrorNotSoFrightened Sun 21-Oct-12 21:30:40

What was that post all about? How odd.

Need to think of a good name for the business. Any ideas?

InMySpareTime Mon 22-Oct-12 07:51:50

Start with your name/something about your locality/something about your singing style.
As few words as possible, no more than 4 words, and easy to spell or you'll lose business from people who misspell your contact details.
Possibly a name you can adapt for party/pub work to separate those aspects of the business.

BabsJansen Mon 22-Oct-12 08:01:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TerrorNotSoFrightened Mon 22-Oct-12 23:13:35

Thank you all.
What do you think of this 'The "--local area------" entertainment Co.' ??
Simple, good for SEO?

InMySpareTime Tue 23-Oct-12 07:34:10

Search the name on a search engine to see if anyone has the domain or company name, otherwise it's a good name for both sections of your work. Perhaps have a sub-name of the "local area" children's entertainment Co. though that's possibly too long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now