Talk

Advanced search

Self-employment & maternity allowance

(5 Posts)
fionathepink Mon 15-Oct-12 19:12:37

Hello

Does anyone know how long I would need to be registered self-employed before I can claim maternity allowance? I've registered to pay Class 2 NI contributions and know that I need to work for 26 weeks before I am eligible.

However, what I am not sure about is if these 26 weeks need to be before I become pregnant or if I can contribute for 26 weeks while pregnant?

Basically, do I need to wait 6 months before trying as I cannot afford to live without the 40 weeks MA as I'm a childminder, so working in late pregnancy/early days is not really an option.

Any advice most helpful. Thanks x

TalkinPeace2 Mon 15-Oct-12 19:24:50

Write them a cheque !
I paid £178 and got £890 back many moons ago ....

fionathepink Mon 15-Oct-12 19:31:09

So, basically pay £68 for the past 6 months of contributions and carry on from here on in. Has anyone else done that before? I know I have previously made enough contribution for JSA for 6 months.

MrAnchovy Mon 15-Oct-12 23:13:08

You don't need to make any backdated contributions, you can count any 26 weeks up to the 15th week before your expected due date.

fionathepink Tue 16-Oct-12 07:27:08

Ah thank you. Very helpful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: