Talk

Advanced search

Marketing/PR freelancers

(7 Posts)
broodylicious Fri 12-Oct-12 23:11:36

Hey all. New to this board so pls be gentle with me ;)
I will be starting up my own marketing/PR/events/copywriting consultancy early next year but want to be ready to go so planning lots now. I'm so excited about my venture but also quite nervous. Is there anyone reading this who is offering these services already who can advise on what you did first and how you found your first few projects/clients?

I'm thinking social media will be a good starting point but not sure how to say to someone "hiya, I do marketing, want to pay me to design some leaflets?" (pls note I do know not to pitch myself quite like that!!)

Also any advice on things you found useful when setting up or how to go about finding an accountant? Do I need to get one now or wait for a bit? All advice genuinely welcome smile

RubyrooUK Fri 12-Oct-12 23:25:34

Hello

I was freelance and am currently working in-house.

I got most of my business though personal
recommendations. Have you got a lot of experience in this area with people who will pass your name on?

Then the basic bits I would say are:

- have a website with a bit about your offering; skills; experience; any examples of work; awards etc. Make it as easy as possible for people to find out lots about you.

- is your LinkedIn up to date? Make sure you've got lots of people recommending your work. LinkedIn is also good for finding people wanting work done.

- you could consider applying to a creative services exchange like Blur at some point. That matches people with brands needing one-off pieces of work done. Look that up if you haven't come across it.

- make sure that you have a network of other freelancers you rate in place in case a job comes up that you can't handle on your own.

This is the kind of stuff I'd have in order before I launched my business. If my pretty defunct brain can think of any more, I'll add them.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 13-Oct-12 18:24:11

I'd agree with what RubyrooUK has said.

I do similar to what you are planning to do. Most of my work is through people I know. Spend between now and then linking on LinkedIn with everybody you think could be helpful in the future. It is such a useful tool. Once you are ready to launch you can let them all know you are now freelancing etc.

Twitter would be a good place to build a "following" of people. Most marketing types I follow use it to subtly position themselves as 'experts' on the subject and to share interesting/related content. I cannot think of many that use it to directly sell. You could do something soft like "Sign up to my e-newsletter". That is what I do.

I also think you need to be as proactive as you can re promoting yourself. Which sounds like it will be easy, as that is your own area of expertise, but I have often ound it difficult! Offer yourself as a speaker at events whenever you can or offer guest blogs/articles. And by that I mean literally offer yourself, calls for speakers/articles are rare, you need to approach people. It really helps raise your profile, which hopefully then leads to further work.

My last thought is focus on what you know. I have a niche and actually that niche has been my most profitable area in the 1.5 years I have been going. If you already have experience and contacts in that area, it should be a fertile place to start.

On the Accountant question. I got one as I didn't have a clue and I also had some PAYE to take into account in my first year, so I wanted to ensure I was doing the right thing. As a sole trader I do my own "books" or rather spreadsheet and file my receipts, she then does the bit at the end of the year and for that it is a couple of hundred. Money well spent I think.

HTH

Do PM if you have any questions.

Good luck.

TheMightyMojoceratops Fri 19-Oct-12 13:15:20

I am in a similar position to OP but have a question about indemnity insurance - can anyone recommend a good broker/policy for marketing/pr freelancers please?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 20-Oct-12 08:31:41

TheMighty

There is a thread here - www.mumsnet.com/Talk/freelancers/1563396-Professional-Indemnity-Insurance

I used Finsbury through moneysupermarket.com it is affordable (c£130) but not sure how good it is, as haven't had to use it yet!

Good luck.

BirdFromDaNorf Sat 20-Oct-12 18:57:59

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned networking - proper networking meetings. There's all sorts that you can go to, with the first one being for free. I'd go to them first. And practise, practise, practise your one minute pitch because lots of them do that.

Re providing social media - if you're going to tell others that you can offer this, you need to have some strong examples of your own presence, or do it for someone else at no cost to show that you can grow communities. I've done social media for several large brands now, and people like to see evidence of my work in action. What's your previous experience in this area? Assume that's what has made you decide to do this?

My best thing is to think of yourself as a client - how would you get them out there and promoted?

Also suggest that you write on topics / themes of the day on your website's blog to get yourself known as someone who is influential / ahead of the curve on a given topic. Don't try too hard to sit on the fence - clients need you to know your mind!

Re insurance, I'm not sure who we use as I have an admin who does it for me. If you are still stuck let me know and I can have her look at it.

Good luck.

TheMightyMojoceratops Sun 21-Oct-12 17:47:28

Thank you, I think that other thread has it covered. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now