Advanced search

Need a good accountant

(12 Posts)
tiredtoday Fri 12-Oct-12 17:47:39

Im wondering what is the best way to go about getting an accountant. Would prefer recommended by mouth, but we dont know anyone with an accountant, so that is out. Is there a site or something where we could find a good one.

riksti Fri 12-Oct-12 19:05:43

I've just had a look on ICAEW website and they have a search function where you can find a chartered accountant in your area. I'm would hope ACCA has a similar function. These are two main qualifications if you're looking for an accountant.

If you're after tax advice more than accountancy services then check CIOT website.

(sorry, I'm on my phone so linking is difficult) but if you search 'ICAEW accountant' on google the right page should open.

Acumens100 Fri 12-Oct-12 19:08:17

I can highly recommend Percy Westhead in Manchester. We've dealt with several of them and they're uniformly excellent.

tiredtoday Fri 12-Oct-12 23:43:23

Thanks for the info riksti, I will do some googling. Acumens - do they come to you or do you go to them? Are they reasonably priced? Had a quote from a chartered accountants, it it was close to 4k, and that was with the books already all sorted!

riksti Sat 13-Oct-12 08:08:06

£4k seems a lot though it's difficult to say without knowing your business and area where you're looking. Our firm doesn't charge that much unless there's an audit involved (but we're a smallish firm in the midlands not a big one in London).

I would pick a few firms, google their names and if nothing unpleasant comes up I would set up meetings at a few of them. It'll give you a better idea of the market and help you find someone you can work with.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 13-Oct-12 17:35:12

Talkinpeace2 and MrAnchovy are both regular long time posters on here and are accountants, they both seem to know their stuff.

I would get 3 quotes. As a sold trader starting out (and doing most of the data entry/filing myself) was offered £1K from a place with a shop on the high street, £600 from somebody via the local NCT board and then a few hundred from the accountant I went with who was a recommendation - Haven't been using her long, but she seems good.

If you want directories, as riksti says try the professional body sites for a directory of members. Or your local Federation of Small Business/Chamber of Commerce will have a directory.

If you want local and still cannot find a recommendation ask the likely person/firm for references? I know they will only recommend their happy customers, but might be better than nothing.


Good luck.

TalkinPeace2 Sat 13-Oct-12 20:10:23

You called!

I have a policy of NOT taking people other than personal recommendation - long story ...
There are lots of good people who post on here
including MrAnchovy and myself
I've also written a small business guide that includes a section on how to choose and accountant
Personally I am very anti directories and stuff.
Your accountant is going to find out a great deal about you, it needs to be somebody you feel you can trust. Therefore personal introductions are king.

I'd be interested to see exactly what they plan to provide for £4k .... grin

tiredtoday Sun 14-Oct-12 20:36:43

Thanks for all the great advice - am going to look further into all the info given tomorrow. Talkin... could send you their quote if you like lol - was ridiculous I thought, and im pretty sure they were bigging up all we "needed" to do. My biggest worry is the Annual Accounts we have to file with Companies House - I shudder with the thought!

TalkinPeace2 Sun 14-Oct-12 21:44:09

companies house filing with iXBRL is a single click of the button assuming they have produced your accounts and CT return on proprietary software.
I pay nearly £1000 a year for my software but it makes returns an utter doddle

so I put my time and effort into making sure the taxable profit is "right"

MrAnchovy Sun 14-Oct-12 22:07:29

My biggest worry is the Annual Accounts we have to file with Companies House

Actually the abbreviated accounts you file at Companies House are nothing to worry about - however the full accounts and tax computation in iXBRL tagged format that you have to submit to HMRC definately are.

You can contact me with a message here or via my web site ( if you would like a more realistic quote - or look on UK Business Forums.

TalkinPeace2 Sun 14-Oct-12 22:19:34

You have an excellent offer there ....
(the joys of Iris software!)

Pourquoimoi Mon 15-Oct-12 14:22:01

I too am an accountant. £4k seems like a rather large quote to me too.

I'd second the thought of going with a qualified chartered accountant (ICAEW is a fantastic start). Pick a few with free initial meetings and meet and see how you get on with them. In theory once you know they are chartered, they should be able to do the work technically so it's about who you feel you trust and want to work with.

Anyone can call themselves an 'accountant' without any qualifications or experience, so make sure you get a qualified person. The most relevant ones are probably FCA,ACA (Fellow and Associate Chartered Accountant) or FCCA, ACCA (Fellow or Associate Chartered Certified Accountant - often referred to as a 'certified' accountant).

I'm an FCA with many years experience and don't charge anyone £4k!! There are lots of different firms around, big, medium, small and people like me who run their own practice for lifestyle reasons. Chartered doesn't necessarily mean expensive.

Good Luck in your search

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: