Talk

Advanced search

to ask mumsnet to solve a business problem for me?

(23 Posts)
BumptiousandBustly Mon 08-Oct-12 14:33:26

I have a small on-line business (am NOT going to say what, or hint or anything, as really don't want to be accused of trying to sell here.)

The problem I have is that I need to gift wrap in some form various items of different sizes - say they were shoes (It NOT, nor anything to do with that), but I would have small ones, big ones, squishy ones (slippers etc). Some things come in boxes, some don't.

Now gift boxes are too expensive - we would have to charge customers too much. We can't offer gift wrapping as something are too soft and would not look good gift wrapped.

I have looked at organza bags - but can't find them in the many sizes we would need.

I have looked at cellophane bags - but they are see through - which makes it a bit pointless (or does it?)

I simply can't find anything else - any suggestions gratefully received.

LadySybildeChocolate Mon 08-Oct-12 14:37:34

Cellophane sheet, brought up at the sides, tied at the top with ribbon and with some silver/gold stars or something inside? You can cut the sheet so size isn't a problem. Then pack as usual.

BumptiousandBustly Mon 08-Oct-12 14:39:29

LadySybilde - but if you can see through the cellophane, then doesn't that spoil the point of having gift wrapping? That is the only thing stopping me doing that. Because if its see through then the contents aren't a surprise.

TeeBee Mon 08-Oct-12 14:39:56

How about cellophane sheets (you can get patterned stuffed) but wrapped in tissue paper beneath? That way tissue wont get ripped and wont have tranparency problems with cellophane.

mistlethrush Mon 08-Oct-12 14:41:59

You can get cellophane with nice patterns on it that will show tissue underneath and do something similar to a florist... If you can get to a floristry supplies store they do big rolls of both.

knitpicker Mon 08-Oct-12 14:42:21

Would cardboard pillow packs work for the product?

pinksummer Mon 08-Oct-12 14:44:00

Can you put a sheet of coloured tissue paper over the cellophane before you gather and tie at the top?

pinksummer Mon 08-Oct-12 14:44:34

Did that make sense? As in when you gather it up the tissue paper is on the inside.

BumptiousandBustly Mon 08-Oct-12 14:45:59

Knitpicker - not really, have looked at those.

OK good thinking on the colored tissue paper inside the cellophane - interesting thought about how florists do it. Will definitely have a look at that.

Like you say - we could get pretty cellophane, colored tissue paper and a nice ribon - not too expensive and pretty!

pinksummer Mon 08-Oct-12 14:47:11

TeeBee worded it much better than me!

VinegarTits Mon 08-Oct-12 14:51:18

how about a rustic look? (depends if it goes with the theme of the tings you sell though) brown parcel paper tied up with jute string? (or a nice ribbon)

tanfastic Mon 08-Oct-12 14:54:03

what about getting branded ribbon. It works out cheaper than branded boxes. I have an online shop too selling jewellery and gifts and I buy the branded boxes and pillow packs in a multitude of shapes and sizes. Costs me a bloody fortune.

BumptiousandBustly Mon 08-Oct-12 15:00:14

tanfastic - but wrap the ribon round what? It still needs to be in something. - I would happly get plain boxes and pillow packs but they are still a fortune (our stuff is also bigger than jewellery.

VinagarTits - the problem is wrapping the various items (funny sizes, shapes etc) in any kind of paper - not easy (and something I am CRAP at) - so really wouldn't be good for gifts

VinegarTits Mon 08-Oct-12 15:06:42

i make stuff out of driftwood, all various shapes and sizes, which i sell online and wrap it in brown paper (goes with the wood theme) with a nice ribbon, and i find it works well (the more arkward shapes i wrap in bubble wrap first to make the shape more even) sounds like your going to have to folk out for something more expensive though

quoteunquote Mon 08-Oct-12 15:15:47

These come in lots of sizes, if you bulk buy very cheap, they come flat, the plain brown ones look very nice with a bit of florist raffia used as a bow,secured with a personalised sticker.

I've seen them used as packaging for all sorts of things.

BumptiousandBustly Mon 08-Oct-12 15:21:47

Vinigartits - that sounds great for your business - really good idea - without giving any hints as to my business - it might not be quite as suitable.

quoteunquote - very interesting - can I ask if you are uk based, and if so do you import them? I think we are not quite big enough for the quantities necessary for importing - though its exactly the kind of thing we are looking for.

tanfastic Mon 08-Oct-12 15:49:44

What about polythene clear bags so you can see the item and then wrap them in tissue paper with branded ribbon?

It's difficult I know, I spent bloody ages trying to work out how to present my items and i'm still finding some things just don't fit right.

TirednessKills Mon 08-Oct-12 16:16:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

aldiwhore Mon 08-Oct-12 16:23:13

I'd probably source a roll of material that's really cheap, and make up bags as I go along. It wouldn't be too much bother, only two side to sew, draw string top... it is quite difficult to suggest anything without knowing the products BUT I don't understand why you've not specified.

I like quoteunquote's suggestions, my only concern is they are at risk of looking like they should contain noodles, but if they do them in different colours or you could personalise them in some way they look great (and I will be checking out the site in more detail later).

quoteunquote Mon 08-Oct-12 16:50:17

Everyone from the soap and potpourri makers through to farmer market and festival stall holders, use them here so I doubt they are hard to get hold of. pence each.

I only know because I helped a friend a few Christmas ago, to wrap her handmade soaps she sells in an upmarket shop,and internet, she uses all different sizes, bit of raffia,personalised oval sticker on box,with brand name,website details, wraps in brown paper,print address , bunged in the post.

since I helped her out, I notice them everywhere, not just for food.

about £50 a thousand, I think she said they were about 5p each. I remember asking as DD wanted some, and she nearly charged me, despite me volunteering to help get her christmas rush out for no pay quite a few evenings.

bran Mon 08-Oct-12 17:00:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BumptiousandBustly Mon 08-Oct-12 19:46:13

Do you know Bran, that is a genius idea - I will have a look into that!

OliviaLMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Oct-12 20:10:50

Hi OP
We'll move your thread out of AIBU into our freelancers section

Best of luck with it all
Thanks
MNHQ

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now