Talk

Advanced search

Please help me price this job!

(6 Posts)
Lowla Tue 25-Sep-12 17:03:03

I'm meeting a friend tomorrow who wants me to clean her two bedroom home from top to bottom. Floors, doors, windows etc. She's warned me it's a tip since her last tenants moved out. I've told her my rates are £8 an hour for this type of cleaning and general cleaning. However, since she'll need me for several hours, I'll give her a discount.

I was thinking it'll take me 6-8 hours. So £50 all in? Does that sound too expensive?

TalkinPeace2 Tue 25-Sep-12 17:15:17

Is this a one off deep clean or an ongoing job?
Have you looked at the house?
Have you agreed a standard - eg steam cleaning?

She stops being a friend the second money changes hand. Treat her as a professional client and you will both be happier for it.

ThunderboltKid Tue 25-Sep-12 17:20:20

£50 sounds pretty cheap to me - any chance you're in Sussex and want to come and do mine too? grin

I have a similar size house and would expect to pay at least £80 for a full deep clean.

Lowla Tue 25-Sep-12 17:37:54

Hi. ive not seen the house yet. going tomorrow to give her a quote. its just a one off deep clean. ill not be doing steam cleaning. just ordinary water and cleaners.

I dont charge extra for this service. if booked for longer than 4 consecutive hrs, i offer a discount. So that's why i was thinking £50 for 6-8 hours.

Sorry for the bad grammar. im on my phone.

TalkinPeace2 Tue 25-Sep-12 17:42:46

BE CAREFUL
there may be a reason why she is asking a friend rather than another firm.
Keep your business head on at all times.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 26-Sep-12 08:52:52

Hi
It might be too late...but I'd question why you are offering a discount. £8 an hour sounds good value to me, if you discount too heavily you will be nearing the min wage?

I personally wouldn't expext a discount on such a small job.
If I was offering you a contract to clean my fictional 8 properties on a monthly basis maybe.

I know she is a friend, but if she has a rental property I assume she is either earning income/it is an investment. I think she'd struggle to find such a good value cleaner elsewhere. Deep clean or Molly Maid types would be much more.

I know it is difficult with friends, but she needs a cleaner, you do cleaning so try to see it as a business transaction as Talkin says? She also has the benefit of trusting/knowing you.

Good luck with the meeting.

MML

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now