Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Professional . . . with entrepreneurial itch

(2 Posts)
ellenetwork Sat 22-Sep-12 19:40:16

Hi all
I've been a lurker for a while but finally posting.

I'm a qualified professional, earning a decent wage, but I'm not sure my chosen career is me forever. I would like to be my own boss, to fit work around my daughter's life better.

I get a rush from business networking, hearing about business ideas, helping friends with new ventures. I have a couple of business ideas and I'm sure I'm going to dip my toes into some ventures soon.

My issue is, I'm a professional, for a very successful company, with linkedin profile, etc.

1. How have people handled setting up your own business whilst employed? Do you do it secretly? I certainly couldn't tell people at work about any ventures. Whilst it would affect people's opinions of me having my eye on the ball, it could reflect badly on work's clients that I'm not 100% committed to my work for them (which I know is not the case but those in a professional industry can appreciate that point).

2. Related to question 1, how do you publicise a brand/name online/linkedin/etc if you would prefer that during the launch stage, your employer not find out about your plans (I will add that I couldn't be setting up on my own to do what I currently do - non-competing for sure).

3. Financially, how do people do it? Set up a company and register as an employee of that separate company? Whilst you are earning your salary from employed job?

Any answers appreciated.
Thanks

DolomitesDonkey Sun 23-Sep-12 15:58:22

Hello, just a quick one as I'm on the phone.

1. I ran my idea past my mgr and legal dept. To make sure I wasn't invalidating my contract.

2. I vat registered and will pay tax from the company separate to my salary and the salaried job/ tax remains totally unchanged.

3. I set up a linkedin profile in my new "persona" and chose to delete it last week when a colleague tried to connect... Until I'm closer to the goal of leaving I'm not going to put it out there. Some colleagues do know I've got my fingers in other pies, although tbf I sounded out those I suspected of doing the same!

4. My clients are unaware unless the choose to "look".

5. My website uses my real name and my name is actual unique... Not unusual, but unique.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now