Talk

Advanced search

Market research question

(6 Posts)
k2togm1 Fri 21-Sep-12 16:27:02

Hello, I'm  looking for advice re market research. I am planning a home-baking operation, a small affair to start with as an aside. I plan to offer my goods to local cafes and perhaps then move on to markets, etc. 
The question is, I'd like to offer the cafes a sample to see if they are interested, do i need to do everything else before offering a sample (such as getting product liability insurance and being registered) or can I start by offering them and then if they express interest go on to do everything else?

k2togm1 Sat 22-Sep-12 09:49:38

Ok so is this a really stupid question? blush

MrAnchovy Sat 22-Sep-12 12:05:22

Not stupid, just one most people wouldn't bother asking. You might find that buyers will want to see copies of insurance and environmental health certificates, otherwise if you are just giving free samples there is probably no contract that you can be sued under (but you probably do have a duty of care so cannot be negligent) so many people would consider insurance unnecessarry (and possibly even ineffective) until you actually start trading.

k2togm1 Sat 22-Sep-12 13:05:49

The thing is, wouldn't it be better to go to my local cafes and say 'hey look here is my product, try it, and if you like it get it!' Rather than 'hey look, why don't you try it and if you like it you'll have to wait because I am not ready'??
Apologies for the business naïveté, got lots to learn!

DoingItForMyself Sat 22-Sep-12 13:27:08

Have a word with your local environmental health or someone to see what they say. My friend makes cakes as a little business and they came and checked her kitchen and gave her a certificate, but I don't think she needs insurance etc. Might be different if you're selling to businesses rather than individuals. Can you google it?!

k2togm1 Sat 22-Sep-12 14:41:25

Ok so maybe ill get that certificate (as it doesn't cost anything) and then offer them and then get the insurance...
Is that inspection just looking for cleanliness?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now