Talk

Advanced search

Any professional storytellers out there?

(15 Posts)
InMySpareTime Fri 21-Sep-12 07:48:11

I want to use my skills as a storyteller to start my own business. I was thinking of starting out by oral storytelling in libraries, day nurseries and at children's parties.
Has anyone successfully done this?
Any advice re. Networking, usual rates etc. will be gratefully received.

InMySpareTime Fri 21-Sep-12 14:01:59

Just me?

TalkinPeace2 Fri 21-Sep-12 15:21:52

Have you joined your local storytelling club as they will have the connections.
Where in the country are you?
I know people who are professional storytellers, but none who pay their mortgages from it.

InMySpareTime Fri 21-Sep-12 15:26:42

I'm in Greater Manchester. My mortgage is not dependent on my income, my previous wage was only £5k pa anyway.
I mostly wanted a handle on what the going rate is really.

TalkinPeace2 Fri 21-Sep-12 15:30:10

www.mouthofthemersey.org.uk/storytellers.html
www.wordofmouthstorytelling.org.uk/main/

google is your friend

InMySpareTime Fri 21-Sep-12 15:58:57

I have contacted word of mouth already, and joined the society for storytelling.
Thank you for your help.

InMySpareTime Sat 22-Sep-12 20:36:04

But seriously, are there no storytellers at all, on the whole of Mumsnet? There seem to be enough journalists, authors and proofreaders on here, I didn't think it was that unusual a profession.

TalkinPeace2 Sun 23-Sep-12 18:37:07

depends if they see this forum

InMySpareTime Sun 23-Sep-12 18:38:08

Where would they be?

TalkinPeace2 Sun 23-Sep-12 18:40:24

anywhere - depends on their other interests - maybe on a reading forum or elsewhere on work, or childcare ...

OhGood Tue 25-Sep-12 11:25:32

What do you mean storyteller? <fascinated> you mean you can actually do this as a job?

I am off to google Soc of Storytelling. But please tell me more! How did you get started?

OhGood Tue 25-Sep-12 11:28:29

And have you seen this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2012/mar/20/philip-pullman-brothers-grimm-fairytales

He is brilliantly interesting on the subject of these, and the way they are written/told - the stripped-down, action-builds-on-action approach.

InMySpareTime Tue 25-Sep-12 13:19:34

I have always been interested in stories and oral storytelling (as opposed to reading out books). Working at a day nursery I frequently get praise for my storytelling, from colleagues, parents and DCs.
I decided to take something I love doing, and am good at, and see if people will pay me to do it. Early days yet, but the buzz is good already, I have a good network set up for when my notice is over at my day job.
The usual response when I tell people is "that's the perfect job for you" and "you could tell stories at X place, I know someone you can contact"
It may not be lucrative, but it will definitely be fun. I am only starting this venture as DH earns enough for day to day costs.
My story money can go back into building the business, or be used for family extras.

poppys2012 Tue 02-Oct-12 20:42:58

Hi i love story telling and i sell childrens books, i get asked to go in and read stories a lot whether i am any good or not i do not know ! It is fun though

InMySpareTime Tue 02-Oct-12 21:10:02

Hooray! I finally found another storytellergrin. Are there just very few of us, or are they all hanging out somewhere other than MN?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now