Talk

Advanced search

Do you answer late evening and Sunday text messages form clients?

(9 Posts)
DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 09-Sep-12 20:42:09

I put in an ad for my business online and I alreasy had a missed late yesterday evening (I googled the number thinking it was a nuisance call but it was someone looking for work with that number) and just now I got a text from a potential client. Not sure whether to reply now or set the boundaries and reply tomorrow. Grrr.

LadySybildeChocolate Sun 09-Sep-12 20:47:53

I get a publisher emailing me at 12:30 on a Saturday night asking me to send her things. I do, because I know she's awake. My pal on the other hand, switches her phone off on Friday night and doesn't answer any messages until Monday morning. I don't think she's as desperate for work as I am, so it depends on how much you need it I think.

Tee2072 Sun 09-Sep-12 20:49:12

No. Part of the reason I work for myself is so I can have time with my family.

After 5pm on Friday, I do not answer any number I do not recognize on my phone.

Of course, I'm a graphic artist and have never yet had a person with a graphical emergency that couldn't wait until Monday.

grin

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 09-Sep-12 20:50:18

Hmmm, I am desperate for work but I guess I don't want to come across as such. Might respond and say I will get back to him tomorrow with details.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 09-Sep-12 21:16:56

Nah, I'll reply tomorrow. Hardcore, me.

TalkinPeace2 Mon 10-Sep-12 15:24:51

Clients have been known to turn up on Friday nights and Saturday evenings and after I've started Sunday lunch - but I reserve the right to be half cut and offish at them.
They soon learn.
Week nights I am 'on call' till 9.30 pm.
After that they get ignored.

maybenow Mon 10-Sep-12 15:28:25

A potential client i would answer the phone to any time really unless i'm in a meeting with somebody else or actually busy with the family and unable to answer. An existing client i would get back to when i could depending on what i knew about their needs/deadlines.

I work for some organisations that are volunteer run and so have their 'business' meetings in the evenings or at weekends... I am freelance so that i don't have to work mon to fri 9am to 5pm... but the flexibility goes both ways and i do sometimes do some work or phone answering evenings and weekends...

Mostly i encourage clients to email me so that I can answer when it's convenient for me.

t1meout Mon 10-Sep-12 15:33:03

I answer emails from people who are working with or for me at the weekend, because I don't want to hold anything up and lots of us work odd hours. I also email people working for me but they know they don't need to reply until the working week. I never ever answer clients at the weekend, even the ones who are ex-colleagues/friends - do it once and they expect it always! I would definitely not answer a text.

SleepBeckons Sun 23-Sep-12 21:30:11

I deal with queries as I get them, regardless of it being late evening / weekend.

If I feel in danger of getting sucked into a 24/7 relationship, I save the email / text as draft and send it the following morning at around 6.30 - 7am
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now