Talk

Advanced search

writers, what do you do?

(13 Posts)
autumnlights12 Fri 31-Aug-12 15:30:08

So, ever since I left Uni with an English degree I've been told (by people who read my short stories, blog etc) that I should write.
I already write, (all the time and bloody love it) but have never been paid for it. I've started a novel, or two, but finding the time with three children (one of whom is a baby) is not the easiest task.
I'm curious to know what the freelance writers amongst you do?
Who do you work for?
Is the work steady?
Well paid?
I've 15 years solid work experience (marketing role and newspaper research job) and ideally would have a pretty garden office where I could sit and pen the next Harry Potter sensation. Meanwhile, back in the real world....
Inspire me!

NotAChocolateRaisin Fri 31-Aug-12 17:17:24

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jan/12/amanda-hocking-self-publishing

And sounds like you already have an advantage over this woman as you can write (and her writng is very bad smile)

Set yourself up on Amazon self-publishing is a easy little tool and is definitely the next big thing. So many people have kindles now the traditional publishing industry is dying. Very sad really, but true.

WaitingForMe Mon 03-Sep-12 13:01:50

Recently... a press release about changes in the law surrounding care homes, website content for someone who restrings tennis rackets and a marketing plan for some solicitors.

I find my clients through networking.

It's not steady yet but getting better.

I make very good money compared to the friends who are pure and writing poetry instead of whoring themselves in marketing wink

There's a novel somewhere on my laptop and vague plans for a garden room with roses around the door but for now it's instant coffee while I do my invoices and an afternoon appointment to discuss a blog campaign.

toysoldiers Thu 06-Sep-12 13:14:18

Waiting, how do you find your work.

Is it networking or cold calling etc - or do you belong to an agency.

pinkdelight Mon 10-Sep-12 14:10:32

I write for telly. I trained as a journo and did creative writing on the side (fiction, theatre etc) till I built up enough freelance work to fist of all go part-time, then become self-employed. I remember thinking it would take me about a year to get set up. In reality, it took about two years to go part-time, five years to go self-employed and more like eight years to really be earning decent money. So no, generally the work is not steady or well-paid until you're well-established, and even then there's an element of having to 'make hay' - I never feel like I can say no to anything in case the work suddenly dries up. It's hard, and I work a lot harder than I ever did in an office when my salary would be coming in whatever, but the advantages are great - working from home, working with creative people, and getting paid to write. Nothing beats that! So if you feel it's in you to do it (and really I think a true writer has no choice in the matter but to write), then go for it. It's not clear from your post, but it sounds like you're quite well set up anyway and it'll definitely help if there's no pressure to make money in the short (or even medium) term. I had to do lots for free in the early days. Good luck!

PermaShattered Wed 26-Sep-12 21:07:54

I'm dual qualified - solicitor and journalist - and have been doing legal/business writing (very niche area) for about 12 yrs. Love it and well paid. That said, I also fund four children so my dreams of a garden office are some way down the road yet..... sad

Bundlejoycosysweet Thu 27-Sep-12 14:35:11

I write and edit non-fiction books. I worked for years with an established author and honed my skills there before going freelance. Have only written one book on my own so far but am only just back after my third bout of maternity leave so am hoping to get another book commissioned.

When not writing I copy- edit non-fiction for other publishers which I really enjoy but it is very inconsistent work and tends to come in big batches. It would help if I had more time to work, but with three kids under five childcare costs make working more than two days a week impossible.

I too fantasise about writing a novel, but making a living comes first and I do love non-fiction so if I can just earn a bit more money I will be happy!

spondulix Thu 27-Sep-12 21:15:07

I write content for websites, blogs and do some marketing.

I'm a trained journalist - I also write features but it's getting harder to sell them now as no one has any budget, sadly.

There's often work to be found on Gumtree - the most random jobs imaginable!

SlightlyJaded Thu 27-Sep-12 21:18:06

Marking spot

Miller1977 Sat 29-Sep-12 19:17:28

Website content writing and blog writing is around quite a bit. In the right place you can earn a decent amount.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Sat 29-Sep-12 19:21:53

I'm interested in this. How you get your first breaks?

Xenia Mon 01-Oct-12 15:08:02

Look at writing jobs on peopleperhour website too.

TeaAndHugs Mon 01-Oct-12 18:26:46

I write content for websites, blogs and sales materials.

The hardest part is finding work. I tried freelancing websites like PPH or elance but I found that bidding for jobs that I didn't get took up most of my time and resulted in no income! So now I work for companies that taken on work from companies/clients and pay a group of approved writers to do the work. There are lots of these companies operating online, but these are the two I get most work from:
LondonBrokers
CloudCrowd

Once you are approved as a writer, you can start claiming jobs. I get paid via Paypal at least twice a week, and from there I can withdraw money from Paypal to my regular bank account. I earn about £200/week by fitting in short sessions of writing in between family and other commitments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now