Talk

Advanced search

Becoming a Pampered Chef consultant

(10 Posts)
Marsmonster Sat 14-Jul-12 20:58:30

Hi I have recently hosted a Pampered Chef party and the Consultant was very enthusiastic about her job and the opportunities available. I know she has an interest in recruiting new Consultants to build her own empire but it was difficult to see where the catch is - products are great so I can see how they sell themselves, good commission rate, opportunity to use all the products yourself, reasonable start up costs etc.

I am a stay at home mum at the moment so extra money for a few evenings work a month would be very handy. However I worry I wouldn't have the 'killer instinct' to talk people into having parties.

Anyone got any experience of being a Pampered Chef consultant? Is there a hidden catch or is it as good as people tell me? Any info would be greatly appreciated

Karaloumum Sat 14-Jul-12 22:10:03

I think with any direct sales business the catch is just that - getting bookings and getting sales/parties beyond your friends and family group.

I'm not a Pampered Chef consultant, although I'm a customer and have had several parties myself! I do Scentsy which is a similar set up but with flameless candles instead of kitchenware smile You have to be prepared to go out of your comfort zone a bit with this sort of business - but it can be a great way to make money and also meet new friends, get a social life, etc!

Pootle78 Sun 15-Jul-12 15:34:03

I'm a pampered chef consultant, started last Nay when on mat leave with ds, 2nd baby due in next few weeks and am hoping to pick it back up when this one is 3 months.

If you have don't specific questions, feel free to message me, who knows you could have been 1 of my hosts!!!!

Pootle78 Sun 15-Jul-12 15:35:01

I don't know where don't came from, I meant to type any!!!

JammySplodger Sun 22-Jul-12 08:38:06

I've thought about it quite seriously, but for me the reason I haven't taken it up is I don't think I could make it a sustainable business - I think my local area is oversaturated, I don't know enough other people (outside of the other local PCs 'customers') and for the effort put in I can't see myself making it financially worthwhile. Plus I'm crap at sales - though DH suggested that not being over-pushy could be an advantage if I had taken it up.

I think you should figure out whether a) you could make your initial investment back, and b) whether it would work for you as a business, because that's what it is. Otherwise it could just end up as an time-consuming hobby (which might suit you anyway, I don't know).

Bear in mind, the PC who did your show will gain financially from recruiting you / from your sales so there's a big incentive there for her, make sure you're doing it for the right reasons for you.

Melj17 Tue 25-Sep-12 17:09:11

Ok I know I am late in to this Conversation and you may have already made your decision, but I did just want to tell you my experience.
I joined Pampered Chef in March 2008 with 3 children aged 3, 5 & 7, I thought it was worth a try as the only commitment was to do 4 Cooking Shows and then if it wasn't working I could keep the kit, the money I'd earned and walk away. I was terrified (fear of the unknown) of not being good at it, but I knew the products well and knew the quality would sell them.
I have done 429 Cooking Shows and am now a Director. I have a team of 15 and I have been on the trips to Chicago, Athens, Lake Magiorre and Dubai!! I make regular money and I am at home when my family needs me (school holidays etc). Of course I do not know you at all nor do I know your situation, but what I would say is if it is something that you have considered my advice would be try it!! You really are only swapping the odd night in front of the telly for what could be the best job you ever had!! If you have any questions feel free to ask away!

mindgone Tue 23-Oct-12 00:04:32

Hi there, any news on whether you went for it Marsmonster? I am seriously considering becoming a PC consultant, and, like you, wondering about the 'catches'. I have a meeting lined up with the lady to talk about it on Wednesday, is there any advice you (or anyone else, please) could offer? I would be really grateful for anyone's words of wisdom, thanks.

Cubaba Wed 24-Oct-12 22:24:18

Hello! I am not a PC consultant but have experience of the wonderful (and I mean it, it can be wonderful!) world of direct sales/network marketing. First rule, find a company that has products you WILL use! The passion for the products will be in your voice when you're sharing the experience with others and it won't feel like your 'selling' - it should be about sharing something you've found that is great at what it says it can do.

There's a saying, if you want something different, you need to do something different so stepping out of your comfort zone is to be expected. Depending on what your goal is, is it to earn some extra cash OR build a team and earn significant income - your comfort zone may be severely challenged! But you will build up your confidence over time smile.

I wouldn't say that direct sales/network marketing opportunities have 'a catch' - you have to remember that when you join you are essentially running your own mini business. There are always costs attached to running any kind of business so that should never come as a surprise. The beauty of such opportunities is that these costs are minimal in comparison to those associated with running a bricks and mortar business and offer so much more flexibility.

If you have still not decided on what to do and are open to considering other options feel free to get in touch with me!

mindgone Mon 29-Oct-12 20:12:10

Hi Cubaba, thanks for your words of wisdom! I'm intrigued to know what you do? Btw, I did sign up to have a go at Pampered Chef, to earn some extra money, no empire required! And I love the products and will use them!

Cubaba Mon 29-Oct-12 22:52:37

Hi mindgone - glad you found my comments useful. Congratulations on joining with Pampered Chef. No doubt you will have fun - and earn some cash for Christmas.
I'm an It Works! distributor. Pretty new to the UK although the company have been in existence for 11 years. The body wrap is fantastic and yes, I certainly use them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now