Talk

Advanced search

I have a biz idea - need feedback from PR people

(4 Posts)
joshandjamie Fri 30-Sep-11 10:05:51

I know lots of PR people find staying in agency life too full on once they have kids and many end up going freelance. But I was wondering whether a course telling you how to set up your own mini PR business from home would be something of interest? It would cover things like:

- deciding on a niche
- the legalities of setting up
- the tools you need to get started
- how to get those first few clients
- what type of services to offer
- what to charge
- how to keep track of time/invoicing
- how to grow

What do you think? Would it be of interest? And if so, do you think a face to face type of course would be best or a webinar/ebook? Any thoughts on what people might be willing to pay?

Sorry - just trying to come up with what I want to do next and something like this would be a good stopgap while I make up my mind as it's something I know well.

Would love your thoughts

watersign76 Fri 07-Oct-11 10:03:05

I am not a PR, more marcoms, but didn't want your post to go unanswered.

I think it sounds like a potential idea. I think the main challenge (like anything) is reaching your audience.I think those still in work are a best bet. Once they are solo they might not have the money to pay a lot for a course, which wouldn't make it very viable for you assuming you are looking to make money from the course fees. I have found new businesses (unsurprisingly) don't have money for much! If you were looking to reach the newly solo I would have thought it would need to be under £100, which isn't going to make you rich!

The CIPR doesn't offer such an event/service, approach them and offer it? They do have a freelancers network, so they might have already discounted doing something like that...but if you don't ask etc.

Or look at this lot - http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/

There is somebody already doing something similar http://soloprpro.com/about/ which might give you ideas.

It might also be worth thinking about teaming up with accountants. A number of them offer start up sessions, but that is on assumption they then make money from selling their services. Could you then offer coaching etc?

A different angle to what you are talking about, but if you don't already know her, I'd look at http://www.doyourownpr.com/index.asp?tested=y I think she has cleverly carved out a niche for herself and might be able to inspire ideas.

HTH

Good luck!

watersign76 Fri 07-Oct-11 10:03:45

Sorry now with links

I am not a PR, more marcoms, but didn't want your post to go unanswered.

I think it sounds like a potential idea. I think the main challenge (like anything) is reaching your audience.I think those still in work are a best bet. Once they are solo they might not have the money to pay a lot for a course, which wouldn't make it very viable for you assuming you are looking to make money from the course fees. I have found new businesses (unsurprisingly) don't have money for much! If you were looking to reach the newly solo I would have thought it would need to be under £100, which isn't going to make you rich!

The CIPR doesn't offer such an event/service, approach them and offer it? They do have a freelancers network, so they might have already discounted doing something like that...but if you don't ask etc.

Or look at this lot - www.pcg.org.uk/cms/

There is somebody already doing something similar soloprpro.com/about/ which might give you ideas.

It might also be worth thinking about teaming up with accountants. A number of them offer start up sessions, but that is on assumption they then make money from selling their services. Could you then offer coaching etc?

A different angle to what you are talking about, but if you don't already know her, I'd look at www.doyourownpr.com/index.asp?tested=y I think she has cleverly carved out a niche for herself and might be able to inspire ideas.

HTH

Good luck!

joshandjamie Fri 07-Oct-11 17:25:43

thanks for your reply WS - I'm familiar with some of those but not all so will go check out the links

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now