Talk

Advanced search

started working again today and feeling guilty

(4 Posts)
cara2244 Mon 12-Sep-11 22:54:21

My DD2 is 11 weeks old and DS is 2.5. I started freelancing again today, taking the baby with me, but in a couple of weeks I'll have to leave her at MILs. I am taking on more work in stages, but there is so much out there that I am in the very fortunate position of having to turn down work. My DD hasn't had a bottle yet and I am very much pro EBF until 6 months. Expressing isn't a problem for me....I just hope she will accept a bottle.
But I feel really guilty, like I am letting the kids down and that I won't have enough time with them. I'll be doing approx 8 hours a week by November plus a couple of hours travel. I hope by doing this work that I'll be able to stay at home with them longer term rather than having to look for a 'proper' job when DD is older.

Anyone been in this position/felt this way about work?

TalkinPeace2 Tue 13-Sep-11 12:22:09

Your children will benefit FAR more from having you as a role model of somebody who is willing to work for the good things in life
than they will be harmed by somebody else entertaining them for a few hours a week.
DO NOT feel guilty.
Feel proud that you worked hard enough at school to be able to go freelance

fivelittlebunnies Tue 13-Sep-11 12:24:02

Cara, don't feel guilty, you are doing the right thing. Working from home is by far the best solution for spending time with your kids and earning a living. It's great that you have work to turn down but if you have time off now you might not be in that position later on. You are very lucky and so are your kids.
I've worked for myself for last 12 years, our oldest is nine and youngest is 16 months. I am back to work properly 3 days a week now but I'm finding it hard to get enough work. It takes a while to build things up again after having time off. I know i need to be patient and that I'm doing the right thing but it's hard keeping the faith and putting the youngest in childcare while I try! If I was rushed off my feet I wouldn't feel so guilty.
Good Luck,
Liz

cara2244 Wed 14-Sep-11 20:49:02

Thanks guys. I took DD to a baby yoga class today run by a lady who I know. SHe set it up after having her daughter and quit her main job. IT was lovely and she was so dedicated. It has made me more determined. When I think back to how stressed and miserable I was before I went on mat leave, it was awful. Not the work, but working in a horrible environment and for a horrible boss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now