Talk

Advanced search

Anyone out there whose DH is a SAHD whilst you work?

(2 Posts)
BirdFromDaNorf Sun 11-Sep-11 10:06:18

As the title suggests, I'm trying to work out how to best manage things with DH who is a SAHD whilst I'm working self employed, full time. I am the breadwinner and he's working Fri / Sat / Sun nights to get our savings up again, so we can buy a second house on buy to let for a pension.

I'm really struggling with the fact that I'm finishing work in the office, (Shed down the garden, but it's a lovely shed) and then coming in to find that DH hasn't had chance to do the cleaning, clothes washing / drying / ironing and there's a list of stuff that needs sorting for DS1's first day at school tomorrow. Like huh??? What's he been doing with his days????

And as his route to escape from needing to the actual housework etc, he finds DIY projects that are urgent and have to be done, and palms DS1 and DS2 off to his parents so he can get on with them.

Does anyone else juggle it like this? Do I need to grow up and do more housework? Is it fair for me to expect him to manage the house whilst I work?

If I'm posting in the wrong place, apologies, but I want to hear from other people who are also self employed on this one...

TLD2 Mon 19-Sep-11 14:50:19

I was SAHD for 2 years. He's being lazy, simple as. Housework and stuff for dcs should be top priority.

It's boring and not "manly" but it needs doing. Maybe remind him that he's more likely to get sex if you're happy with his contribution to the household.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now