Talk

Advanced search

Any (wedding) make-up artists here??

(5 Posts)
emsyj Tue 06-Sep-11 10:15:10

I'm doing a course in make-up and planning to try and do wedding/special occasion/prom make-up as a bit of a hobby. I don't particularly envisage making a living from it, I just love make-up and fancy doing it as a sideline.

I just wondered how much work there is out there in the wedding/occasion area? Is it busy? It seems to be, but would be interested to hear what you think, and how long it took you to build a reputation.

Thanks in advance.

Bear1984 Tue 06-Sep-11 16:35:46

Hey, I'm not a MUA but I'm a wedding photographer. Your best bet is maybe to try and contact local photographers in your area who may want to do their own styled shoots, which is when they use a model, so they may need someone to do the makeup. That way it gives you experience and hopefully some photographs from the photographer to have for your portfolio. The wedding industry is a difficult one to crack, I'm still learning and trying to lol.

emsyj Tue 06-Sep-11 20:17:26

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't thought of contacting photographers - was hoping to do make-up for friends and try and get work by word of mouth, but it's worth thinking about tying in with other wedding suppliers.

I will need to be in touch with some photographers shortly anyway for another venture so might be interesting to chat to them about it.

anewmotivatedme Tue 06-Sep-11 20:51:51

Friend does this. She gradually got a portfolio, then set up website with photos of weddings she'd done, and started doing bridal fairs.

You need the portfolio first, or to work for someone else to get the experience. She's really busy now, and very very good at it.

emsyj Tue 06-Sep-11 21:11:35

I will get a portfolio (of some sort) as part of the course - I need to build one for the assessment. Hopefully I will have lots of willing victims volunteers for make-up so that I can get before/after photos.

DH fortunately can build me a website as he is in t'interweb business - I just hope I will be good at it, as if I don't feel that I can do a brilliant job I won't do it at all. I think I will be okay at it - I LOVE it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now