Talk

Advanced search

Help advice please - dh looking to start a pt self employed business and neither of us have any experience...

(9 Posts)
LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Sun 04-Sep-11 10:20:49

So dh is looking to start a pt business. It's in the same industry as currently employed. He is employed by an agency and has been for 3 years, doesn't seem likely to be taken on perm any time soon. He has also, as has everyone, been knocked down to 4 days a week. As I was pt and now on mat leave we have started to feel it after a few months.

He feels he can work an extra two days self employed, and also has a friend who would do 1 day a week. But where to start?

Tia

Playingwithbuses Sun 04-Sep-11 23:03:47

Firstly do you have a clear idea of what you want the business to be and what form it will take ir will it be as a sole trader or a ltd company.

You will need to register with the tax man as a business and the vat man if you are likely to be over the vat threshold, if you are not sure you can wait and register later when you reach that amount.

If running business from home you will need to check if there are anything to be changed with regards to house insurance.

Not sure what sort of business so not sure what else I can tell you.

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Mon 05-Sep-11 04:06:11

Thanks for that. It's not going to involve work from home, dh has made the first step and acquired a van!

Think sole trader would defo cover it though. Is it wise to do business plans etc even if not looking for financial help from the bank?

TalkinPeace2 Mon 05-Sep-11 22:37:34

written for ebayers but a start guide to requirements and links ...
cgi3.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=talkinpeace

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Mon 05-Sep-11 22:45:06

Thanks takin will take a look grin

Bear1984 Tue 06-Sep-11 16:39:49

You should do a business plan so you can figure out your costs and sales etc, and gives you a plan of how to go about carrying out your business. I have one that I'm going to try and update over the next month as I've hit the first year point and my plans have now changed/need rethinking about. It can be very basic though.

You should also look into Business Link: www.businesslink.gov.uk They do free workshops which help you understand about being self employed, about taxes, self assessment and expenses. I knew nothing before I started so these workshops have really helped me out! The website is very good for information as well.

And good luck! smile

TalkinPeace2 Tue 06-Sep-11 16:41:37

Business link have had their funding cut - there is only the website now

Bear1984 Tue 06-Sep-11 17:01:20

Oh I didn't know that. I've got a couple of their workshops booked end of Sept and in October. That's a shame!

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Tue 06-Sep-11 17:05:19

Thanks for that had forgotten about business link. You're right if course about the business plan it would be the best way to get everything organised and kept on track. Dh has the day off tomorrow so will see if I can sit him down and start getting things organised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now