Talk

Advanced search

what to charge???

(9 Posts)
moogalicious Wed 03-Aug-11 10:03:06

Hi there, I set myself up as a self employed bookkeeper about 8 months ago currently charging between £10-£15/hour depending on the type of work. I also want to add PA/admin work but am not sure what to charge - I have a client who would like me to take on this type of work as well as his bookkeeping. I was thinking £8/hour for the PA/admin stuff but am I selling myself short?

TIA

bacon Wed 03-Aug-11 11:59:33

As self employed its never worth charging less than £10ph.

mollymole Wed 03-Aug-11 12:05:19

£8 an hour works out at £16640 per annum - have a look through local admin vacancies and see how this compares with the going rate

bacon Wed 03-Aug-11 12:47:17

Dont forget you have to cover your insurance, tax, NI contributions, travel expenses, yr holiday allowance, business costs, advertising aka all outgoings so its not a typical admin rate. Hence a min £10ph.

RedBlanket Wed 03-Aug-11 12:59:26

Has he suggested paying less than your usual rate? If not I'd keep it the same rate.

TalkinPeace2 Wed 03-Aug-11 15:30:17

Find out what they pay their temp agencies - if you are doing book keeping you have access to the purchase invoices
but DO NOT sell yourself short or be a "busy fool".

THey are not paying your holiday, SSP, SMP, ERS Ni - therefore your rate has to include leeway for all of those.
Bank holidays are unpaid
INSET days are unpaid
Child lurgy days are unpaid
and you have to pay tax at 20% and Class 4 NI at 9% on your earnings as well as the class 2 NI

watersign76 Wed 03-Aug-11 19:38:11

Hi

Well done for developing the client so much that they want more of you! Sounds like you are doing well after only 8 months, not everyone can say that. wine

I'd definitely look around at your competition for admin/PA work. The VA industry is a growing one, they probably charge more than you do, not less.

One I met at a networking event charges £25 an hour and only sells her time in 10 hour slots - I guess she has been learnt from experience that that works best. She is VERY proactive though at networking and getting involved with things that get her name out there. I am in London, so I guess that comes into it...but even so.

As others have said stick to your current price at the min. Has the client suggested your drop your rate? If it were me I would have assumed you'll be on the same rate, it is still you after all, you aren't going to be less effective/hard working, just doing something different.

Another way to look at it, if you work for them for £8, it means you cannot do £15 work for somebody else during that hour.

Good luck!

WS

moogalicious Thu 04-Aug-11 20:08:02

Hi thanks for your help everyone! I met with the client last night and we agreed on £10/hour.

flowery Fri 05-Aug-11 13:14:33

My VA charges £20ph and I'm happy with that. Seems to be the going rate for VA work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now