Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Claiming expenses on tax when self employed money went through PAYE. Mr anchovy? Anyone?

(6 Posts)
Thandeka Thu 28-Jul-11 07:42:34

Hi,
I am registered self employed (education consultant) and worked part time as a teacher. Last tax year my self employment work found it easier to pay me through my school so it went through payroll.
Most of this work was done from home so I kept all my expense records for cost of running a home office, mileage etc.
However in terms of actual self employed work I only earned £600 that I need to pay tax on. My expenses were £1200 so technically I made a £600 loss.
Now can I still claim for these expenses although most of the self employed money went through PAYE?
I am getting confused and obviously don't want to get it wrong.

Thandeka Thu 28-Jul-11 09:28:41

Any ideas? Sorry for the bump but I have to finish and send the form today otherwise they are going to make me pay the advance tax bill thing which is way too much as based on previous years earnings which were much higher.

TalkinPeace2 Thu 28-Jul-11 11:08:18

If you were on PAYE you were not self employed.
Your place of work was the school so no mileage claims
you were supply staff not self employed

how was your "self employed" customer able to amend your wages unless they are the same LEA as your main employer

Thandeka Thu 28-Jul-11 11:15:44

I was still self employed for a part of my earnings. I had a self employed contract with them but my earnings went through payroll as I was already on payroll as was same LEA but a consultancy rather than teaching role.

It's okay I phoned up HMRC and they very helpfully told me I could do it in one of two ways- either claim it through expenses on Employed section or via Self employed section as a loss (as both work out the same). The self employed losses section was so terribly confusing and was getting terribly muddled so have put it through expenses in employed section and hopefully all will work out okay.

Just got to wait for my rebate now. smile
Thanks for the help.

mranchovy Fri 29-Jul-11 17:44:39

Sounds like you got this sorted while I was playing on the beach yesterday smile

TalkinPeace2 Fri 29-Jul-11 17:57:14

Yup,
OP was lucky to find an HMRC call centre operator who knew which way was up.
Hope the beach was nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now