Talk

Advanced search

Setting up online with yola/google thing.

(17 Posts)
knittakid Wed 27-Jul-11 20:45:09

Has anybody used this?
http://www.yola.com/gbbo

mum2mummarket Fri 29-Jul-11 11:43:25

I looked at that one and decided not to use it. I can't remember why now. It could have been that the websites produced aren't compatible with macs and for what I needed it wouldn't have been free
I ended up using weebly instead which is totally free even for things like e commerce, you can have lots of pages and I have found it really simple to use.
I know people generally frown on these diy websites and I might upgrade in the future but I am pretty pleased with it at the mo

knittakid Fri 29-Jul-11 15:57:24

Thanks mum2mum, was also looking at the weebly, and wix? they look pretty nice. I know what you mean, should really be paying a pro to do it, but at the mo that's not an option sad.

TalkinPeace2 Fri 29-Jul-11 16:56:24

I never liked anything where your website was a subdomain.

When DH started out, we bought the domain, bought the hosting and then I wrote the site in an old piece of software called Hot Dog.
I now use Coffeecup.
When we changed hosts, we set up POP accounts so that email and domain name were the same (I HATE hotmail accounts on websites)
and then when Simon at UK Site Builder revamped the site he used Dreamweaver, I keep it updated with coffeecup - so long as I don't damage his Java code with the visual editor.

knittakid Fri 29-Jul-11 17:43:44

Well, that's the thing. That yola offer includes a .co.uk domain (I think), and then the others like weebly let you use your own domain as well? have I got all this wrong?
But I know what you mean, I would not buy from a hotmail account or a subdomain.

TalkinPeace2 Fri 29-Jul-11 18:02:10

From their site (right hand side)

1. Be found

Create a website and instantly publish to the Web
Use a free sub-domain
- e.g. www.SiteName.YolaSite.com

their domain purchase and web hosting for your own domain are dearer than I pay from Simon at UKSB !

JennySense Fri 29-Jul-11 19:40:39

If you can afford a domain name and a few quid for hosting a month then why not use wordpress.org?
I love weebly and a couple of the other free sites out there like tumblr, but with wordpress you'll always own all of your site yourself. There's loads of great themes out there, it's easy to use and you can customize it so you can sell from it too smile

corrigan Fri 29-Jul-11 20:14:04

I second the wordpress option - I've built a couple of sites using it and I'm a complete doofus when it comes to anything on the 'puter....so if I can do it, anyone can smile I got a lot of help from Carol at Ethictech www.ethictech.co.uk and her fees are really reasonable

mum2mummarket Fri 29-Jul-11 21:52:10

I use a .co.uk address with weebly and still don't have to pay for hosting. I bought it elsewhere though and 'pointing' it at my site was the trickiest thing I have had to do. I haven't got a dedicated email address yet - but the contact form sends stuff through to my gmail so I am probably ok with that for now

knittakid Fri 29-Jul-11 22:02:36

Just looked at the wordpress thing, looks a bit complicated, I might get a domain and use weebly just for now! mum2mum, I'd love to see your page if you don't mind! pm if you prefer.

neepsntatties Sat 30-Jul-11 09:27:32

I am on Yola and the web addy doesn't have Yola in it. I think I only get it free for a year but I am just getting started so don't want to spend money yet.

knittakid Sat 30-Jul-11 12:48:58

neeps, do you have to stay with them the following year?

neepsntatties Sat 30-Jul-11 19:23:48

Honestly I am not sure what the deal is. I just had a look on the website and it says I have a subdomain but it doesn't show like that. Website is here: www.theatrecreate.co.uk. So I am not sure what the situation is to be honest.

knittakid Sat 30-Jul-11 20:53:29

nice site, thanks for sharing!

LetLoveRule Mon 01-Aug-11 17:58:45

Yola has worked really well for me. my website a 'normal' .co.uk one and works perfectly on a mac.

mum2mummarket Tue 09-Aug-11 10:48:30

Hi,
Sorry I forgot to come back to this thread.
My site is here: http://www.mum2mummarket.co.uk - done with weebly
I am not a very arty person so I found getting 'the look' right the hardest thing. Still got lots of work to do though so any feedback gratefully received (I can take criticism so don't hold back!)

mum2mummarket Tue 09-Aug-11 10:52:56

And by cocking the link up I have proved I am not very technologically minded either!
www.mum2mummarket.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now