Talk

Advanced search

MA in translation is it worthwhile?

(5 Posts)
haylady Sat 23-Jul-11 23:06:27

I took the plunge and moved back to Northern Ireland this year and am finding it tricky enough to get teaching work. I'm a French/Italian teacher but have sought and found v solid advice on here before, about setting up as a translator. However there is nowhere nearby that teaches the Diptrans qualification although Queen's in Belfast teach the Masters in translation. So I'm wondering if i should apply. Is it possible to set myself up without a formal qualification? i do not have any business experience. However it is expensive and i have 3 young children (2 preschoolers) and am separated. I am keen however and need to get/build an income. The idea of studying is v appealling at the minute tho i know it would be tough as i would be doing something challenging for me.

ihatethecold Sun 24-Jul-11 16:20:32

hi haylady,
i would find out if you can gain employment with your qualification. i dont think you can be a translator without having the right quals.
sometimes a degree is enough without the diptrans, if the degree have a high percentage of translating incorporated into it.

i work for an organisation that provides interpretors and translators for the police/court/health service and i know we wouldnt use someone without the appropriate quals. also we dont have many requests for italian/french. the people we already have on our system complain that they dont get enough work.
hth

haylady Sun 24-Jul-11 22:55:03

Thanks ihatethec,
I've just been looking into the diptrans which is much less expensive than the masters however i could do it as a distance learning option from City of London or from WLS in Dublin. Do you have any idea what the quality of teaching/tutoring is like or how i might find out about them?

ihatethecold Mon 25-Jul-11 13:08:48

no sorry i dont

falasportugues Wed 03-Aug-11 00:29:48

i work as an interpreter, not a translator, and some of the agencies are more and some less demanding about qualifications. I live in a relatively large town, where asylum seekers are dispersed to, so there is demand for the services, but not enough for it to be my only job. it is a good job for someone who is looking for 2-10 hours per month.... If I was you, I would really want to know what level of demand there was before starting the course. good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now