Talk

Advanced search

Any set up 'help'/funding available for new business?

(5 Posts)
escape Fri 22-Jul-11 13:27:36

Hi all!
I ran a very successful business abroad until my husband was made redundant and left us sad We returned to the UK last year and I really want to set up over here and replicate what I have already done in this market (consultancy)
There is also another element to what I do that I would like to do over here, which is more of a social enterprise, and would definitely benefit local communities. I am a having a crisis of confidence on this as I have been abroad 2003-2010 so feel like I have no contacts here etc, but I am 12 years experienced, passionate and I can say I am good at what I do.

After years of working from home and around my husbands job, It's time to gain that confidence and move forward properly and purposefully. There is an office available literally yards from where I live/kids school etc - it's an absolute bargain of a rent at just £150 per month, but needs re-decorating, furniture etc - no equipment layout, justa printer, desk, chair, pretty it up to meet clients in.

Whilst moving forward, and gaining clients, business and making a go of it doesn't faze me ( could live to regret that) - I just don't have the surplus cash to 'set' up as described.

There seems to be a lot of help for the under 30's advertised in setting up, but I'm 33! - if anyone can point any resources out - I'd love to hear about it.
Thanks a bunch!

TalkinPeace2 Fri 22-Jul-11 18:47:26

TBH, I'd get a credit card and finance it that way - there are various interest free deals and you have far less hoops to jump through

escape Fri 22-Jul-11 19:16:18

Thanks TIP2, you are right, it's not a whole lot of money, but I don't think I'd get one! Credit history non existent due to being abroad and on very low income currently.

TalkinPeace2 Fri 22-Jul-11 19:32:10

the other thing might be to hit Linkedin big time and see if you can find an angel / collaborator
also, have a look on the UKBusiness Forums

watersign76 Sun 24-Jul-11 20:07:34

Firstly well done for moving forward, sounds like you have been through a shi**ty time. It depends what area you are in, some Local Authorities have funding to get people off benefits, but you need to have been on them for a while.

What about this - www.startups.co.uk/what-are-cdfis.html

Is there nobody associated with your previous business that could provide a loan based on the fact they knew you/your work - as an investment? Or could you continue to do what you did by from a distance? Or what about exH/H, least he could do!

If you want to operate as a social enterprise there might be funding, but it does come at a price - you will need to set yourself up like a charity with trustees etc, so it might not be right for you at the moment.

A few links, funding will depend on type of business & location.
www.socialenterprise.org.uk/
www.knowhownonprofit.org/basics/setting-up-an-organisation

Or could you do 'any' work to earn money whilst you build up contacts and work here? There are various freelance sites - peopleperhour.com which offer short jobs which you can bid for. Money isn't great, but it can fill a gap, assuming you have something to offer.

One last question, do you need an office at this point? It does sound like a bargain, but could you make do at home initially? See clients in a hotel lobby etc? Just a thought.

Best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now