Talk

Advanced search

Anyone set up their own dog grroming business ??

(3 Posts)
outinthesticksmummy Fri 22-Jul-11 10:36:34

Hi

Has anyone sedt up a dog grooming business ??? I have 3 small children and am looking for a business I can run from home ( as is everyone !!) I have the perfect place to set up and have a veternary nursing background.

Been looking at city and guilds qualification for £966 ....any one done it , or found any cheaper ??? Arrrgh ....not sure this is really sensible ....but how else do you look after your kids and bring some money in ?? (husband in police so erratic shift patterns are not good for employment !!)

Dawser Fri 22-Jul-11 18:42:36

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

watersign76 Sun 24-Jul-11 19:47:49

Hi

It is a challenge isn't it, finding something that works on all levels.

I know you are probably looking for successful stories...but I thought I'd share my mum dabbled in Bichon Frise grooming for a while.

She started as she received compliments on our Bichon whilst out with her & she groomed her.

She got a bit of work from advertising in the paper - this was a while back before the internet was as prevalent as it is now - but the time each grooming session took outweighed the money she made and the special shampoo she used etc. I guess if you have an area for it and you can line the dogs up, you might be able to achieve economies of scale.

I might get flamed for this, but I’d be less concerned about a qualification and more about skill/experience and love of dogs.

What I would say that is each session lasted at least an hour, so you would need the kids at school or in bed so you can focus. If you are clipping their nails/dew claws and one of your kids needs you etc...

Bichon’s are very high maintenance, I am guessing other breeds might be ‘done’ quicker!

Good luck.

WS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now