Talk

Advanced search

writing books

(3 Posts)
TanFarr Thu 07-Jul-11 15:59:15

Hi - I joined this board a while ago but have never really used it. I am interested to know if there is anyone out there (like me) who is writing children's books. My youngest son is about to start nursery and I have written a picture book, which a publishing company is interested in. It's all new to me and I wonder if anyone else is in a similar position or further ahead than me. I would love to chat with you.
TanFarr

porcupine11 Sat 09-Jul-11 23:14:11

That's great that they're interested in it, have they asked you to develop it? I'm further behind than you, I've written a couple of picture books but haven't polished them up enough to send yet. My day job is also writing, but on commission, not on spec. The whole submission thing is scaring me! Did you go through an agent?

TanFarr Mon 11-Jul-11 17:38:10

Hi Sorry for delay - not quite sure how to use mumsnet yet so only just logged in to find your message! Great to be able to talk to someone in the same boat! I feel like I have come in through the back door - I have had no experience in publishing (apart from working in a few publishing companies when I was younger) but I have always had in mind I would love to write children's books. I wrote the words to on when I was feeling inspired then happened to mention it to a friend who works in a publishing company. He offered to take it in to show them. They were very positive about it and we had about a month of passing messages through my friend. Only recently did they actually email me to say they really like it and we are now communicating directly - they have asked if i could develop it into a series although there is no contract yet. I am not sure about whether to get an agent or what to do as I have loads of questions but don't have the kind of relationship where I can phone them for a chat (they are very busy).
What about you? Do you have an agent or do you know about that side of things? Do you have the Writers and Publishers Yearbook? That is useful for info although I would really like to talk to someone who is going through it! I think they do make the submission thing sound very daunting and precise! I am sure if you follow the guidelines that then your work will shine through. Mine was an unusual case I suppose as I just emailed mine in a word document - not really presented well but that's because I was expecting just to send it in for constrtuctivve criticism. What kind of writing do you do? It sounds like you are a step ahead with experience! Anyway - I'm going on a bit. I would love to hear more about how it's going and I hope it goes well.
TanFArr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now