Talk

Advanced search

accounts

(6 Posts)
tink123 Wed 29-Jun-11 21:26:35

Hi, I am about to start up as a freelance trainer. I was wondering if anyone uses any software to keep records or do you use good old fashion paperpen or spreadsheets etc...

any advice appreciated!

Nailitorelse Wed 29-Jun-11 21:40:27

I use Excel to log my expenses and have done since 1996 when I set up my training business.
It is completely customisable and can be easily adapted as business grows or changes to add pages or columns or lines etc. Why pay mega bucks for Sage when all you need is a simple log of your income and expenditure?!

Lizcat Thu 30-Jun-11 13:40:58

I run two different businesses and run two different systems.
Business A two rental properties no employees limited incomes and outgoings Excel spreadsheet.
Business B a vets practice with 3 sites and 17 staff Sage with an accounts administrator working 4 days a work.
So it really depends how much you are going need to keep track of.
I have to say I can't wait till October 2012 when Business A will merge with Business B and I can give up doing my bit.
Sage does reduce your accountancy fees when it is at the more complex level.

Bramshott Thu 30-Jun-11 13:57:09

I use Excel for my personal accounts, just income, plus expenditure in categories. But I also use Quickbooks for a couple of clients and have found it very easy to use.

ANNALK Wed 06-Jul-11 13:12:13

Hi Tink,

All good advice being offered here. Excel is very effective for recording your income and expenditure so I would recommend starting with that and see how you get on. If you need any advice about tax deductible expenses or completing your tax return etc I am a qualified accountant and am available to help.

Good luck with your new venture!

Anna

TalkinPeace2 Wed 06-Jul-11 13:59:22

Loathe Quickbooks
Sage Instant Single company is only just over £100

Have a look at some of the info on here (I wrote it for ebayers but its generally applicable)
cgi3.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=talkinpeace

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now