Talk

Advanced search

Build your own website

(11 Posts)
Clarence15 Sat 25-Jun-11 14:46:48

Can anyone recommend a site which lets you build your own ecommerce website? Or is it better to pay someone to do it?

Doesn't need to be massively professional but I need to be able to upload product photos and take payment by card.

Saffra Sat 25-Jun-11 20:44:34

Unless you are technically minded, I would say it's probably far better to pay someone to build it - especially if you are serious about making money from the website, rather than just simply having a little dabble.

poppydesign Sun 26-Jun-11 15:25:31

yes I would agree with Saffra - I would not buy from an online shop that looks home made (ie badly designed, low quality photos etc) as I would be worried about security issues.

TalkinPeace2 Sun 26-Jun-11 15:54:41

Simon at UKsitebuilder did my DH's
some day I'll get to meet him but in the mean time I know that he's darn good at his job

DollyTwat Sun 26-Jun-11 15:56:30

Wix.com
Fab temPlates that are very professional
Really easy to use too and free

Saffra Mon 27-Jun-11 13:20:03

Just to add.... with selling effectively and successfully online, there is a lot more involved than getting a website up and running - e.g. SEO/online marketing and website usability.

What are you looking to sell?

TraceMac Thu 07-Jul-11 15:57:16

Great site for getting small jobs done at low cost is www.flipajob.co.uk/categories/Websites

bacon Mon 11-Jul-11 12:07:18

ALways pay a professional copy that can provide a professional image. Use the correct text, understand the market. Unfortunately, there are people who say they can do it but they cant and its false economy. Building a professional website requires experience and lets face it there are some dreadful ones out there- sorry but puts me off.

ALso professional photos a MUST. Around £500 half day. Business cards/stationery etc all need to follow the brand image. Copywriting is also advisable and legal jargon - T&Cs etc need to be correct.

Having a company that can set up numerous e-mail accounts and understand your system is essential and if they are local they can pop up and sort out any e-commence problems you may have.

Novascotia33 Mon 11-Jul-11 23:48:13

I use http://bigcartel.com/examples works very well for me, you can customize the design, but really your photographs are everything when selling online, so it would be money better spent getting a pro to do your photographs IMO. But like Saffra says, it all totally depends what you're selling?

lucykate Tue 12-Jul-11 00:17:04

wix are good, there's also weebly. i use weebly but don't sell direct from it. i could do, but choose not to. instead it directs towards etsy.

Saliya Wed 13-Jul-11 11:05:40

why won't you consider Microsoft Office365? It gives you a website, your email (25GB), your office web apps (word, powerpoint, excel) and IM for just £4 per month per user. This is all cloud based and Microsoft will host everything so you don't have to worry about buying servers etc...

I work for a Microsoft gold partner and we are launchign support services for this now and I think this would be ideal for a start up or for a professional.

Drop me a line on my work email if you would like some more info.

saliya@webteksolutions.co.uk

Regards,
sal

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now