Talk

Advanced search

What rate of pay for freelance graphic design?

(7 Posts)
Hathor Fri 27-May-11 09:02:35

Anyone know the pay per hour or per day for freelance graphic design (print and web)?

Tee2072 Fri 27-May-11 09:16:40

Depends on where you live and how much experience you have.

I also tailor my fees based on the company I am going to work for as I work for a lot of start ups without much money and give them a discount in order to build my own client base.

My basic, no discount, rate is £25 an hour, 2 hour minimum. I live in Belfast.

Are you looking to hire or setting up in business?

Tee2072 Fri 27-May-11 09:17:24

Sorry, meant to say have been doing this just about a year, so my fees are a bit lower than someone with more experience. I know one of my clients sometimes uses a large PR firm and their basic rate is £60 an hour.

Hathor Fri 27-May-11 14:16:22

Trying to find work in this sector after working a long time in a permanent job, but not sure of rates for inhouse vs freelance vs temp contracts.

Tee2072 Fri 27-May-11 14:27:37

Are you already qualified in some way? Because if you've been doing the job, just for someone else, you can ask for more money.

It's really down to experience. And talent! grin

Watersign76 Fri 27-May-11 23:29:43

I work with a range of freelance designers. Who charge £20 through to £50 per hour (plus VAT). For me it generally the relationship that swings it for me.

I read a good book - www.amazon.co.uk/Starting-Your-Own-Independent-Consultant/dp/0273731173/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306535015&sr=8-1 - when I recently started as a marketing consultant. He suggested you allow for working for 33% of your time, with 33% developing new clients & then 33% on admin, finance etc. So that is a guide to working out what you need to earn, the other side of what to charge - what do you need! But it depends on your client as Tee2027 says.

Have you looked at all the freelance sites? peopleperhour.com etc I have had a bit of luck myself but it is hard work bidding and a number of jobs never come off & generally the pay is v low. Sometimes though there is a good opp.

What about working pt and building up?

cloudwalker Sat 18-Jun-11 00:09:07

I work as a freelance graphic designer. Generally my rate per hour is around £35ph. This is a bit cheaper than the big agencies, (who charge anything from £50ph up to £150ph) however the people I look to work with are smaller businesses, NGOs and charities, so I base my fees, to a degree, on what my target clients can afford.

I think this is key to working out what you'll be charging to be honest. If you work with blue chip clients, they expect a certain level of service and expect to pay a higher fee to allow for this, smaller clients will look for a more competitive pricing structure.

I hope this is all helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now