Talk

Advanced search

Trying to start photography business whilst having a 6.5mo

(10 Posts)
Dozeyland Mon 16-May-11 15:01:25

Hey,

I am 22 year old, a mother of one and have a loving partner & family. My partner works full time, and i am on maternity leave until mid-august. (i reluctantly want to go back) wasnt going to but thinking about the money.

I am trying to start up my own photography business, i have a facebook page, and website that i am working on. i justcant seem to get enough time to focus 100% and don't want to go at it "half-hearted"

Everyone says how good i am, and i know there is big competition in photography, especially freelance but its what i love and whati want to make a career out of, plus being able to raise my family.

I am still in the early days, need more takers, (but none yet... sad ) people say YEah i want some, but never follow-through !! I am building my portfolio, but just need to get more jobs, im planning on doing courses, and i definitely need to get sussed with the business & marketing/legal/tax etc...

here is my website so far........

http://ribbonsandbowsphotography.weebly.com/

how can i make this work?

Dozeyland Mon 16-May-11 15:04:02

** plus having my 6.5mo, she is obviously the centre of my attention, but want to make this work so i can make a career whilst being a mummy (which i adore smile)

its just hard to concentrate........

my dear dad brought me a dslr kit (woth 1000.00) and i really want to make something of myself!

bacon Tue 17-May-11 12:45:21

Your not qualified then? Having the good kit doesnt make a great photographer. I use a professional photographer my our business. He worked in London and did do some work for the press. He is amazing!

On the otherhand my babysitter is also a professional qualified photographer but work is very intermittant. She is very talented too.

In my experience there are loads of good photographers out there but many are also amazing. I have seen some dreadful wedding photos too done by part timers/hobbyists.

To be a good photographer you need all the kit, possibly a room, computer and digital packages, good insurance and def qualifications. Reputation is a must.

Any photogragher will also tell you that you may only get work on a saturday (weddings) by the time you take all costs out you may be lucky to earn some pin money....its hard, my professional photographer has had no work over winter, he had to take up a job to cover his outgoings.

Your no different to so many mums that need to earn extra money while bringing up the children - there are no easy options to achieve this goal.

If I were you (you say your passionate) I would enrol onto a professional college course and take it from there.

Dozeyland Tue 17-May-11 15:34:33

Thanks. some of wha yousay is true, but i believe that having a passion, and a natural falre could be as good as any pro. :-) having the addtional experience is only a bonus - its not the 'all and everything' of being a photographer.

I've trained myself, read alot and do have the computer, software, available room, and equipment :-)

Dozeyland Tue 17-May-11 15:38:55

ps. i am planning on doing a few master-classes in the Autumn

Dozeyland Tue 17-May-11 15:39:05

damn keyboard

Dozeyland Tue 17-May-11 15:49:49

Bacon may i ask what you do?

Pan86 Thu 16-Jun-11 13:37:48

Message deleted

going Thu 16-Jun-11 13:49:03

Dozeyland I would offer free shoots - time for print - to build up your portfolio.
Try by putting up notices in your local toddler groups and online on parenting websites. You could also try places like starnow to find models though I imagine you would have to pay. If you find online groups for parents who have children who model I imagine a few will take you up on the offer. It does seem a shame to give away your services for free but I have seen it work for other people.

Dozeyland Sat 18-Jun-11 12:09:33

Thank you pan!

Where did you study the rule of third, composition, lighting, settings,exposure etc?

I have a great book by john hedgecoe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now