Talk

Advanced search

Taking on our first employee - tips?

(10 Posts)
stirlingstar Thu 06-Jan-11 15:47:36

I run a database development company with DH. We're just advertising to take on our first employee. smile and shock

We've used freelancers/subcontracting before, but this will be the first person that we'll be really responsible for.

Can anyone hold my hand a bit through the process?

So far we've
- Debated it for a while, done some rough calcs of cost/revenue, and now decided to go for it. Seemed a bit of an out-of-the-blue decision this morning, but actually it's been building up for a while
- Written a job spec and put it on one board so far, plus on the Scotland Uni's free ad place. Want to put on a couple more boards but bit put off that it's £200++ a time...

So need to think about selection and interview process.

Also how are we going to fit them in to our home office (top floor of our house, but still basically getting someone to come in to our family home every day). Anyone done this?

I also need to work out all the insurance, health & safety stuff etc that we need to put in place. Anyone got any tips on that.

Thanks.

(Also - if any MNer interested in a database application developer role in central Scotland let me know! Prepared to be flexible on hours etc.)

Talkinpeace Thu 06-Jan-11 16:27:54

employers liability insurance
register paye scheme
contact the FSB helplines - the sub will be worth it for this matter alone!!

stirlingstar Thu 06-Jan-11 17:04:05

Thanks - we're registered with HMRC as employers already so i've got a starting point there.

I have just discovered what FSB is!

Talkinpeace Thu 06-Jan-11 17:22:40

I don't contact the FSB often
but their technical bulletin and magazines are a useful read.
Some of the deals are excellent
and for that day when you do need them....

TracyK Thu 06-Jan-11 17:52:24

Remember there's also gumtree.com - I've got a couple of bits of work/interviews through that and its free.

Have you got your HMCE PAYE disc through yet - it will help you work out net pay etc.

It might be worth while lining up a whole host of interviewees and then hiring a meeting room type place off site? Rather than a bunch of strangers (you might never want to see again) knowing where you live etc?

Also - do as much digging into prospective's as poss - ie have a look at their facebook page etc - see what they are REALLY like!

flowery Thu 06-Jan-11 20:06:29

Congratulations! Very exciting taking on your first employee.

I work with small and medium sized businesses and have written a guide to recruitment and selection for small businesses which is free for those who sign up to my newsletter, might be useful here

llareggub Thu 06-Jan-11 20:24:22

I signed up for Flowery's newsletter a while ago and it is ace. Very readable, and always contains timely advice. I'd say it would be very useful for a first time employer. Good luck!

flowery Thu 06-Jan-11 20:24:51

blush

thanks!

rememberingnothing Fri 07-Jan-11 11:32:26

Be flexible for the RIGHT candidate and don't to be too rigid about the job description / what you think you want. We (my DH and I) also run our own business and it is really important that the person you chose is the not only able to do the job but must fit personality wise.

Don't forget working for a husband and wife team will be hard for them as there is no other colleague for them to turn to if they need to let of steam etc.

FSB very useful for contracts of employment and helpline very useful too. Would recommend joining too.

The most recent recruit I took on we ended up doing a very good mutually beneficial deal that is not very 'normal' but works for us.

stirlingstar Fri 07-Jan-11 14:03:26

Great advice everyone - thanks. Will sign up with flowery smile

I get what you're saying about taking time/flexibility to find the right candidate. We're looking for a permanent person before we absolutely have to have one in order to give us time/space to do this. Have also determined that we will have to be ruthless if someone starts but is not working out quickly.

Also like the meeting room idea.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: