Advanced search

How to get legal proofreading work

(6 Posts)
donttrythisathome Fri 26-Nov-10 15:30:00


I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me please?

I'm on mat leave at the moment but don't really want to go back to my job as a government lawyer which involves a long commute and long hours and being completely undervalued in the current climate especially.


I'm thinking about trying to get work proofreading legal publications. I've experience in drafting legislation (as well as other documents) and proofreading docs for colleagues. But I would need to do a proofreading course I presume.

Does anyone know what course if any I need to do? And whether there is any work out there?

Thanks in advance.

goldenpeach Fri 26-Nov-10 18:28:07

You don't really need a course to proofread with your experience!

Try Chambers (hope it is the right name) and other legal publishers.

The society of Editors and Proofreaders has some pointers on its site re rates and other matters.

donttrythisathome Sun 28-Nov-10 19:09:03

Thanks goldenpeach. I think I would need some training as the proofreading I did was just in-house. i would need to know the industry way of marking the documents ifywim. Can you recommend a course please or would I be able to get it from a book?

donttrythisathome Sun 28-Nov-10 19:09:33

Tee hee, my own post could do with some serious correction!

goldenpeach Sat 04-Dec-10 19:37:04

The Writer and Artist's handbook had all the proofreading signs. Any bookseller sells this. Check they still do have them inside in the index. This book lists all the publishers.

Or look here, to be honest some of them I never used! .html

The above link is for the signs not a recommendation of the course.

donttrythisathome Mon 06-Dec-10 00:24:17

Thanks very much.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: