Talk

Advanced search

Help!

(3 Posts)
LollipopViolet Sat 13-Nov-10 19:36:21

Hi everyone!

I'm a final year uni student at the moment, studying film production. Basically, after I graduate, me and my friend want to move to Manchester. Problem being, I'd need to find work. I love video editing, have my own Mac, Final Cut Studio etc. I also love photography, and am quite good (I think so anyway).

What I'd like to know is, in the Manchester area, how easy would it be to set up as a freelance video editor or photographer? What would I need to do/think about?

I think it's going to be hard to find media-related work when I leave so thought this could be a back up thing?

Do I need to start doing the odd photo/editing job now to build contacts?

Talkinpeace Sat 13-Nov-10 21:27:37

I know nothing of your industry but in every other industry I deal with, you are going to be competing with experienced people who have been laid off or are short of work.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sun 14-Nov-10 18:20:43

Having started my career in TV production in Manchester (albeit many many moons ago) I would say you would almost certainly need to do stuff for free / internships / work exp to build up a portfolio to start with. I would align yourself with an existing agency / production house to build contacts and experience. The BBC move to Salford could be an opportunity but more likely to feel like a bunfight for contracts.

Also what Talkinpeace said. Manchester is full of students and postgraduates happy to do stuff for free in the TV business. You need real experience and usps.

It doesn't mean you can't build a great career. You just need to be tough, very good at networking / relationship building, resilient, able to live in cold baked beans and resourceful. And of course skilled and talented, which I'm sure you are.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now