Talk

Advanced search

Do you think this could work ?

(6 Posts)
jellyjem Fri 23-Jul-10 11:27:14

I'm thinking about starting a small business as since having my daughter 2 years ago I only work 2 days a week and we are really struggling to make ends meet.

I've found a wholesale supplier for handmade natural soap (similar to Lush), they look lovely and apparently smell fab (though its a web site so I'm going on what they say!)

I'm thinking about running a market stall every Saturday and also a web site which could be linked to the market stall business.

I used to love this kind of stuff when I was a teenager and think that they would probably be my target market although obviously lots of adults like this kind of stuff too.

The soaps will cost me £10 to buy the loaf which will cut into 13 slices. RRP will be £2.95 each so should return a decent profit. I am also thinking I could do gift baskets with soaps, bath salts, facecloths that kind of thing. I am quite artistic so think I could make them look really good.

What do you think? I'd really appreciate some unbisased opinions, would you buy handmade soap this way or do you think its a non-starter. I know it won't make my fortune but if I could just made an extra £100 a week doing this I would be a very happy bunny indeed.

champagnesupernova Fri 23-Jul-10 13:23:00

Hello
Good for you for doing something else
First my personal opinion is that I HATE all that Lush stuff.blush I actually hold my breath when walking past the store it (literally) gets up my nose so much! But that is a personal thing and know lots of people love it and it is v popular but maybe worth bearing in mind it's a bit of a marmite thing - you're either into home made organic soap or you're not (!)

I also was a massive body shop/boots consumer in my teens so "get" that side of it all.

Is £3 a soap too much for the teenage market though?

good luck with it

jellyjem Fri 23-Jul-10 14:56:35

Thanks for the encouragement C, I know what you mean about Lush but I think thats just all the different scents mixing together which make it a bit hard on the nose sometimes as brought and used individually they are fab. Hummm... have to be a bit careful I don't buy too many aromatherapy ones I think and maybe store them in the garden shed.

You might be right about the pricing, I'm planning to do a bit of research this weekend as there is already a stall on a different market locally, I can see what they are selling and also have a look how busy they are.

Llanarth Sun 25-Jul-10 17:33:27

I think it's a great idea, and I love the smell of lush!

I don't know for sure, but i would think market stalls are just the place to sell, as it's nice to treat yourself to something little after a day's shopping.

I would be more attracted to the stall if it was like lush, in that you had the loafs on the stall, and cut them off there and then, rather than sell them prepackaged (I personally wouldn't be as interested in the gift-baskets). I'd be turned off by anything wrapped in plastic, but cutting it in front of me, wrapping it in tissue paper and handing over the delicious smelling parcel and I'd be in heaven!

Summerlandcreative Tue 27-Jul-10 17:23:23

Hi Jellyjem

Have a look at this lady - she is brilliant, her soaps are great, she does wholesale too.
She is immensely helpful too.

www.emmassoap.co.uk/

Market stalls are hard work and the website will need constant promotion and updating.

Things you will need to think about are:

What kind or market is it & who shops there.
Product & public liability insurance (anything from £50) the market may have a minimum amount of cover they want you to have.
Stall fees.
Childcare costs.
Transport fees.
Table and display fees.

Have a look at this website too:

www.nmtf.co.uk/

Remember to get your extra £100 per week that is in profit, you will have all your costs before that so you might have to make anything upward of 5 times that in sales.

I'm not saying it is a bad idea, just that there is an awful lot to think about before committing any money to it.

Best of luck and I hope your research gives you a successful business.

peachybums Wed 19-Oct-11 13:11:29

I know this is an old thread now but id just like to say anyone who is thinking about this go for it!! I am the owner of Georgias soapbox People will buy soaps at almost £3 if they are handmade and look nice enough. I make all my soaps by hand and they are not bought in but thats only beause i love making them smile Just ensure that

*you buy from good sources, make sure they have all their lables with them (it is illeagal to sell cosmetics without the supplier being checked by and independant chemist and all ingredients lables are present)

* you are regestered as a business and have insurance

* All your products are fully traceable from start to finish.

Good luck and i hope you do well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now