Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Overwhelming.....

(1 Post)
Anngeree Sun 21-Jun-09 21:32:54

Just had my initial home visit last Thu & I was really overwhelmedshock by the amount of information they need about you as a prospective foster carer (even though I can understand why it is needed!)

I was told they'd even need to contact my ex partner (my son's dad) though what use that would be I don't know as he left me when I was a few wks pregnant & I've brought my son up on my own for the last 6yrs with no support from him (he's even avoided paying the CSA) So he knows nothing about me as a parent!

I had to explain that as a teenager I'd been placed on the at risk register due to my father emotionally abusing me & my brother this is an aspect of my past I felt I had dealt with but I must admit i'm a bit apprehensive about digging too deep into my past & raking over forgotten emotions.

Fostering is something i've wanted to do for a really long time even before I had my own child I think it's partly to do with my upbringing (my way of giving something back) but after the initial meeting & finding out what they need to know i've been left wondering if it's the right thing for me!

I suppose i'm looking for a bit of encouragement from people who've been through the process.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now