Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

What sort of money..........

(8 Posts)
QOD Fri 12-Jun-09 18:26:33

Sorry, I know it sounds blunt, have been asked to emergency off the record foster care a girl from our village, by the mum who cant cope, really dont want her to go into the care system if I can help for a couple of weeks or a month,
What sort of money do social services pay? If it worked out and we took her on officially long term(if allowed) I need to know what I could expect
I am sorry fi that sounds tactless but its a HUGE thing to have put to you and I need to make sure i can handle it.
We dont have any spare money as it is, taking on another child would be a drain. we would need to decorate spare room, buy furniture etc etc
answers asap please

MrsMuddle Fri 12-Jun-09 18:38:58

I've seen it advertised at 30k a year, but that's troubled teenagers! I think it's about £250 a week, but you'd only get paid if it was a SS placement, I think - not a private arrangement between you and her mum.

QOD Fri 12-Jun-09 21:02:41

Thanks, her mum would pay out of her own disability allowance (its complicated) and it hopefully will just be a short term helping someone out way right now.
I am a licensed matron by my local council so do have advanced checks etc current.
Hopefully now it would just be a 2 week thing to get her out of a situation
poor kid

jetcat32 Sun 28-Jun-09 18:33:04

dont forget you would need to inform SS as well, as a private foster carer.

When i was working (sw) a few years back, we experienced this situation many times, although it was usually when we didnt have any of our own foster placements available, and the LA wouldnt pay for agency hmm

Back then (disclaimer here as im not sure it is still possible) if a child was staying with either a family member or family friend short term, and money was tight, we would agree to a weekly payment out of Section 17 Child in Need money. This was no where near the regular foster carer allowance - more near £50 per week, but it is maybe worth looking into?

lou031205 Sun 28-Jun-09 19:17:36

I thought that was only if the 'placement' was for longer than 28 days?

jetcat32 Fri 03-Jul-09 19:54:17

sorry, yes, i meant if the OP kept the young person on.
<note to self - be clearer in posts grin>

AnarchyAunt Fri 03-Jul-09 20:07:28

chegirl Tue 14-Jul-09 20:21:36


Social services will not pay you if this is a private arrangement.

If it is a placement through social services you are entitled to a fostercare payment on a par with 'stranger' foster carers (less extra allowances for enhanced training etc). Unfortunately many social workers are not aware this is the case so you will have to argue for it (contact []] for details).

You will need to inform social services of the arrangement as the law now requires private foster arrangements to be registered (unless you are a close relative).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: