Advanced search

fostering powers

(6 Posts)
gengus Thu 04-Jun-20 12:30:35

we are still in process of the courts finalising 5 children to be left in our care,they were removed from my wifes daughter fully aug last year and have lived with us since.Is this normal for for social services to request us to allow the father of the children to see the children once every week even though he is not on birth cert.And which form of fostering is best to apply for as this looks like a long term fostering.childrens ages respectively

OP’s posts: |
iusedtohavechickens Fri 05-Jun-20 22:31:20

Hi are the la asking to to become foster carers? Usually when a family members takes on children from their families it's an sgo?

gengus Sat 06-Jun-20 09:20:43

just got some paper work through yes its a S G O goes to court in aug

OP’s posts: |
CodenameVillanelle Sat 06-Jun-20 09:28:43

If the children have had lots of contact with their father up to now and have an established relationship then regular contact would be in their interests. Weekly is a LOT though and I would be discussing with your social worker how that could work practically and also how that would effect the children settling with you.
Once you have the SGO you will have overriding PR so you can make decisions that are in their best interests but you shouldn't go against whatever contact is out in the order without good reason.
BTW for a father in care proceedings PR is usually granted at the beginning even if he wasn't on the BC so that's a moot point

fasparent Wed 17-Jun-20 04:45:00

Suggest you down load this will give you lots of valuable of information
www. department of education special guardianship statutory guidance just google or search it'

Thepigeonsarecoming Wed 17-Jun-20 04:54:43

I assume children’s services have some concerns about the father or he is unable to care for them? Otherwise they would be placed with him

It does seem odd he’s not on the birth certificate of 5 children though, can you tell us more about the situation so we can advise?

The children will have an IRO allocated already if the council already have a Care Order and they will want to ensure positive contact with birth parents, even if a SGO is issued. As will the courts, they have a duty under the children’s act to do so. You will after all be becoming their legal guardians, gaining PR but not becoming their parents

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in