Advanced search


(3 Posts)
chocolatepudandchocolatesauce Mon 04-May-20 21:33:56

I would advice you check what each local authority call their respite carers. In some areas "short breaks" is the term used for a service for disabled children and young people. Therefore although when caring for young people on a respite basis you may want to call it something different (a sleepover for example) professionals know the term respite and when enquiring about becoming a respite carer it is probably best to use that term as not to confuse the process and end up in a team you may not have intended on.

FosteringAdvice Mon 04-May-20 21:17:55

Short breaks (respite) carers are a hugely valuable resource for existing foster families. You will still need to be flexible and complete all the necessary training as a full-time foster carer, and you should be prepared to transport the young person to or from their full-time foster carers.

The only advice to mention that you might not hear from your preferred agency/local authority - is to try not to use the term respite. I work with children in care and a young person recently googled this term after being told "his foster carers needed respite". He was extremely upset after reading the definition - google it yourself and you'll see why. Short breaks is a much better term to use.

Good luck on your journey : )

Summersoul Sat 28-Mar-20 21:39:44

Hi Guys
We have started the application process to become respite foster carers
Does anyone have any experience of this? Any tips or advice for us novices would be greatly appreciated

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in