Talk

Advanced search

Sensitive Issue - Fostering Application

(4 Posts)
PaisyJ69 Sun 30-Jun-19 21:52:05

Hi,

This is quite a sensitive issue and not something I have disclosed to many people so I ask that you treat what I am saying with respect for those involved.

I've been thinking about fostering for a while but I have a few concerns about whether I'll be approved.

I have a 15 yr old daughter at home and have a 30 yr son old who lives 70 miles away. My concerns are regarding my ex husband who was abusive to me and sexually abused my son as a child (this wasn't disclosed until 7 years ago). Understandably my son now has issues, mental health and drink problems which have affected his own relationship with his child due to his drinking.

I've been divorced 13 years. My daughter has supervised contact with her father 6 times a year.

Would all this mean I'm unable to be a foster carer? It not the easiest of subject to talk about and I know if I apply to be a foster carer they will want lots of details which is very emotionally draining to explain, so I'd rather not have to put myself through that if its something that would mean I couldn't foster. However if it doesn't stop me being a foster carer then it's worth the emotional roller coaster of explaining things if I can make a difference to a child's life.

Thanks

Thanks in advance

OP’s posts: |
f0stercarer Mon 01-Jul-19 18:18:32

As you were a victim and not an abuser then it would not be a definite barrier I wouldnt hve thought. You should raise it at the earliest opportunity and trust in the vetting process. Neither an agency or a LA will want to invest time and money in assessing you if its a def no.

Your experience could mean that you are in a very good position to foster certain children.

Catsbooksandflowers Mon 01-Jul-19 18:19:58

Hmm - honestly, while it’s absolutely worth trying, it could well be an issue, I’m afraid.

Moomumm Wed 03-Jul-19 17:06:02

You were a victim too, it wasn’t your fault.
I would apply. I am currently applying and issues have been brought up as a result and I have been surprised at the impact it has had on me however it has actually been of benefit.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in