Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Fostering and disabled children

(4 Posts)
Charlie196 Mon 06-Aug-18 08:08:17

Hello
I’m just going through the process of becoming a foster Carer with an agency and due to my work/personal experience I’m thinking about fostering disabled children. Our preference would be for younger children due to our family situation but I’m just wondering if there will be many opportunities?

BellaCat123 Mon 06-Aug-18 11:07:52

I am not sure how far you are into the process of becoming a foster carer but maybe look at Credo Care? They are a fostering agency that only places children with additional needs / disabilities.

Charlie196 Mon 06-Aug-18 15:45:56

Hi
We are quite well on with the process - training week after next, panel October. I’m fine with fostering non disabled children , it’s just that’s where a lot of my experience lies. Teenagers probably wouldn’t work for us and I’m just slightly worried that most of the agencies may have older children .

Cassimin Sat 11-Aug-18 17:52:37

We were asked if we would care for children with disabilities, we said we didn't think that we were equipped as we had no experience and our home was not set up for wheelchairs etc.
We now have a child with us long term who came at the age of 4 with no disabilities. They have since been diagnosed with ADHD and ASD.
Not all disabilities are recognised at first so I think it depends on what type of disabilities you think you can work with.
We are with an agency and the majority of the children that come through our agency are not teenagers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: