Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Foster child DLA

(13 Posts)
Alfiedog6 Thu 24-May-18 20:50:55

Our lovely little foster daughter has just been awarded DLA, but it’s quite confusing on what/how we should use this in her best interest. We have been paying for a nursery place for her for over s year and when we’ve totalled it up it’s auite substantial. We wondered if that’s a suitable use for her payments, and would it be frowned upon if we asked the LASW to review what we had already spent retrospectively.

IlikemyTeahot Thu 24-May-18 21:04:54

It doesn't matter how you spend it as long as it's in the childs best interest. I would say her nursery fees are a good use for it but maybe you could get them subsidised slightly in fact if shes around 2yrs she will be eligible for free early years funding because of the dla I don't know about 'backpayments' though

Alfiedog6 Thu 24-May-18 21:31:35

She is now eligible for 15 hrs free childcare, as she is now 2. Prior to this though we were paying for her to attend 3 times a week, just for two hours. This was to stimulate her and was recommended by my SSW. On another note, do we keep receipts for everything. She goes through a lot of clothes and bedding due to her needs. We also are thinking of taking her to swimming lessons so her limbs will be getting built up a bit, not sure if we would get receipts for that. Thanks in advance

Cassimin Thu 24-May-18 22:12:37

We use ours for clubs for our fc.
We need to go to clubs that suit their needs and these are more expensive than mainstream.
I also put 1/2 in an account for them. I was told I should not do this but it meens that if they break one of their expensive belongings they can replace it.
This has all been authorised by SW.
We did not ask for it to pay for anything we had already paid for.
If nursery is helping them I think you could use it to pay for that.

BellaCat123 Fri 25-May-18 17:53:00

My understanding is that is to be used for expenses that are over an above what would be expected of a child that age as a result of additional needs.

E.g. my little one can’t use a typical buggy or bath seat so have used DLA for this. I can’t see why you couldn’t buy clothing or bedding in your situation as you clearly need more of this than you would do otherwise?

shopaholicz Fri 25-May-18 20:37:21

I've not had a child in placement with dla, but I know someone who has and they used it to pay for taxis, extra activities, a lady who used to come in twice a week for 2-3 hours after school to play with the child (he was 7) to give them a break and make it easier to look after their own children, a week's respite in a special care unit during school hols. We've also discussed this at support groups and been told it can be spent on anything the foster carer thinks will make the child's life better or easier for them to deal with, as long as they have the SW's approval.

Alfiedog6 Sat 26-May-18 15:22:57

Thank you everyone for your help. I am meeting up with SW next week to discuss everything and what kind of things they approve that I spent it on. It was speciically to see if I could or was entitled to retrospectively claim back the nearly 2k I have spent on nursery. I will speak to the SW about this, but I dont think so. Although going forward it will help with her additional respite needs.

dailymailsucksbigtime Sat 26-May-18 15:29:10

You need to approach the LA to fund or part fund the nursery- they will have high needs nursery funding.

Snitchesgetcandy Sat 26-May-18 15:29:29

With regards to receipts most places will give you one if you ask, I worked at a sports place where we had a few foster children receiving dla taking part and would always provide a hand written receipt if it was needed smile

fasparent Sun 27-May-18 05:00:57

As child is receiving this should attract further funding for extra hour's
from LA (12 hrs for our child)., also additional level 2 funding (£1800) again for nursery too apply through LA. too go towards additional support (sensory toys equipment, staff training. Also suggest you contact your Schools Statutary Schools disability team, along with
your local SEND ( community disability out reach team) too start a pathway plan (assessment) this will bring into play lots of support if needed (OT , Speech and Language, Sensory, Physio) at the end of assessment a Education Phycologists assessment and if needed start of Education Health care plan. too be ready for when child starts school. As a looked after child should be given priority in all this., Sad too say you have too be pushy and fight the child's corner , unfortunately we found the Virtual (LA)head did not have experience in early years system's.
What i have out lined is how it is supposed too work. Best also if you can get your community Paediatrician on board and in the loop.

Have completed all this successfully with our child.
Good luck.

Alfiedog6 Sun 27-May-18 17:00:41

fasparent that sounds great and a little of what we have been through/trying to do. My worries are that as my little one does not belong to my catchment area she is falling through so many loops in terms of funding. I have been told until a long term plan is agreed then minimum spend will be happening until she is settled, either with me or elsewhere.

mmmccccccxxx Sun 27-May-18 21:36:19

They won't pay for things from the past but might moving forward .

fasparent Tue 29-May-18 15:27:30

All have mentioned is not about catchment area's , It is Statutory SEND
Procedure's can start these all support is funded by NHS, pathway plan
assessment etc. Sooner these are started the better duty of Area LA you live in , the rest will fall in place along the way should do, there is no significant cost too LA , all is funded via central Gov , including pupil premium + £300 at age 3 . 30 hr's child care for foster children is supposed too come into effect from this September we are all awaiting
news of this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: