Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Starting the application process

(4 Posts)
SansG Sat 24-Mar-18 09:31:50

Hi all.
My husband & I are just starting out on this process.
We have no children. Room for a children. Open hearts & a lot of love to share. I work with the teenage age group, so would like under 8 years.

We are going through a local agency. And willing to consider small sibling groups. Are we likely to get continuous placements via an agency. We have had previous contact with LA when we considered adoption (but withdrew our application due to getting pregnant - but I miscarried) our local authority have been in special measures, and our contact with them was a terrible experience. It’s been 2 1/2 years since then but I kinda don’t fancy going with LA after previous experience

Any advice? Any tips? Anything we need to consider.

I will be giving up a reasonably well paid job...but we can live on husbands wage. However I don’t want long period with nothing to do. I have never not worked.

SansG Sat 24-Mar-18 09:48:47

Sorry should have also asked:

Can anyone point me in the direction of useful resources, online or reading?

Smith8450 Mon 26-Mar-18 08:29:22

Under 5's are usually placed with LA. In fact all children will be placed with LA first. If you go through an IFA check which tier system they are as the LA will go with tier 1 first. You will have more frequent placements through the LA as it costs them a lot less to place in house rather than the extortionate rates IFA charge.
If you are unhappy with your experience with the LA try a neighbouring LA.
Attend info sessions held by both the LA and IFA and don't be scared to phone them for a chat. Good luck x

SansG Mon 26-Mar-18 09:15:35

Thank you for your reply. The IFA are first tier. Rated as outstanding. Phoning the LA is where it all began. I rang a number on their website....Only to get 'told off' for ringing an admin telephone number! And from there it continued to get worse and worse. I work but intend to leave. But until I do getting time off work is difficult...The LA where beyond rude about that. The social worker didn't drive and therefore couldn't do appointments early or late...So each visit was a full day off work. She was extremely judgemental....We where open & honest, but she made decisions without actually asking questions. Every time we submitted paperwork...No one ever contacted us...We had to chase them!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: