Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

New to mumsnet.. Kinship

(5 Posts)
2BoysAnd1LittleLady Tue 13-Mar-18 13:22:19

Hi I've just joined mumsnet I've been reading for a week or so to get some information with regards to Kinship fostering..

I have a sw coming out to start the assessment process for me to foster my nephew, I'm just wondering what this involves? He's currently with a foster carer and I expect will be for some time yet.
I live in a 3 bedroom house with 3 children of my own 2 boys age 12 & 4 years and a little girl 13 months, my nephew is nearly 3. Both my boys have their own rooms and baby is still in with me (will be for some time yet) my nephew would share with my younger son if he were to come live with us. What will happen on first official meet?

steppemum Wed 14-Mar-18 14:53:42

Hi welcome to mumsnet, sorry you haven't had a reply, I'm just bumping it for you in the hope someone who knows something sees it!

shopaholicz Thu 15-Mar-18 08:58:25

Hi Steppemum,

I don't have any experience of kinship care, but would have thought that a first meeting would just be a getting to know you chat including what you want to happen and why etc, just the basics and probably a quick look around your house to start to assess suitability. Maybe after the first meet you could post what happened to help others on here?

shopaholicz Thu 15-Mar-18 08:59:31

Oops, sorry, I copied and psated the wrong name, I should have put 2BoysAnd1LittleLady

user1498854363 Fri 16-Mar-18 18:11:06

It really depends on the child/ family situation. First assessment is checking out your home, family situation, assessing you. Have u considered what extra needs yr nephew has? Attachment disorders? Really consider the impact of your decision on wider family, you will be managing contact, etc. I have experience of this and in my case took the kids on an emergency basis. Assessments included lots of personal info of my history, parents, child rearing, Psychological impact etc
There are organisations out there, grandparents plus (not just for grandparents) is great... good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: