Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Any Shared Lives carers around?

(4 Posts)
guestofclanmackenzie Tue 05-Dec-17 20:20:48

Just that really.

I'm relatively new to Shared Lives and currently care for an adult lady with mild learning disability on a long term contract.

Would love to meet MNetters who are in shared lives too. smile

SharedLife Tue 23-Jan-18 16:19:43

Hey! Im a shared lives carer, also of a lady with LDs. Shes been with us since the summer. So far so good! I previously fostered children and must say Shared lives comes with a lot less stress, it feels like our descisions and judgment are trusted a lot more. How are you finding it?

guestofclanmackenzie Tue 23-Jan-18 17:54:33

Hi there!

Thanks for the reply!

Well in a nutshell it's a massive challenge...Rewarding though. This has been a big career change for me as I had never had any experience whatsoever in caring or caring for anyone with a LD. My lady came to me last February and seems to have slipped through the net completely in terms of support and assessments from social services and because of that, her LD and needs are much much greater and more complex than anyone originally thought. I have been told that a lot of carers would have given notice on her before now, but I have stuck it out as the positives have outweighed the negatives. Luckily, I have a lot of help from my SL support officer. Without that I would have been lost.

Where abouts in the country are you?

SharedLife Wed 24-Jan-18 07:28:02

Hi, that does sound difficult for you. Is your support officer helping you find the right services now?
Im in the Midlands and we are fortunate to have a variety of services round here. I was told by GP that they could refer us to the community Learning Disabilities nursing team for support with behaviour, sleep, education around relationships etc. I wonder if there is anything like that in your area?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now