Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Long term foster

(3 Posts)
familylifeiseverything Wed 29-Nov-17 09:58:50

Hi there,

Just wanted to ask all you lovely ladies about a situation my friend is going through. He and his wife have a 6yo BS and have fostered a 9yo old girl since she was 6yo on a long term fostering arrangement. They legally have her til she is 21 unless the mother sorts herself out (unlikely) but she won't be available for adoption.

He is unhappy with his wife and looking at potentially leaving but is unclear on the situation with little girl. Obviously they will co-parent BS and daughter but will they be allowed to keep her???

He will not leave if that is the case but he is unhappy and this will ultimately affect the kids in the long run with all the negativity....

Tricky situation and any advice would be most welcome.

TIA

fos6mo3 Thu 30-Nov-17 07:49:13

I think it's a tricky one I know of foster carers who have placements after divorce but I'm not sure about rights to see a non biological child after divorcing the main Carer. I think this would depend on the individual case, the child and overall the main Carer and how he handles leaving and their relationship After. I'm not 100 percent on this but if there in an unhappy marriage and arguing that's also not good for birth children or foster child.

familylifeiseverything Thu 30-Nov-17 15:08:40

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, it will all be amicable but he doesn't want to do anything if she will go back into care as she has been with them for 3+ years...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now