Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Carers allowance

(11 Posts)
fos6mo3 Mon 23-Oct-17 15:36:33

I've been advised
To try and claim carers allowance for a child I foster, child is receiving higher rate dla.
I am employed by an ifa and receive payment but nothing enhanced in regards the the child's disability ?

Anyone claimed this
Recently . How does it work ? I was
Told they would need
To send a form to my ifa ?

Auspiciouspanda Mon 23-Oct-17 15:39:30

I'm not 100% sure how it works but I'm a housing benefit assessor and I've seen foster carers have the foster payment and carers allowance for the foster child.

fasparent Mon 23-Oct-17 19:02:49

Can apply for care element of DLA for a child from age 3 months, at age 3 can re apply for Child's DLA and mobility (Or enhanced element as is now called).
Would contact DLA regards Care element. , for advice.

Unicorn81 Mon 23-Oct-17 19:05:17

Not sure about the alĺowance for kids but im sure for my partner it was means tested and i dont qualify with my wages etc

fasparent Mon 23-Oct-17 19:30:06

DLA is NOT means tested is nothing to do with SS and IFA's and would not be deducted from allowances or payments. Application too be made by main carer Foster parent on behalf child with SEN or Disability as is carer's allowance., too support extra needs child or carer need for every day support.

Unicorn81 Mon 23-Oct-17 20:36:32

Apologies, i didnt mean DLA was means tested as we were talking about carers allowance. What i meant was i couldnt get carers allowance due to my wages (it says if you earn over 116 week you cant get it). It was also about 15 years ago i looked into it so dont listen to me, id recommend asking your local citizens advice, they were very helpful for us

picklemepopcorn Mon 23-Oct-17 20:53:36

Fostering allowances do not affect other payments or benefits.

orangeisnothenewblack Wed 25-Oct-17 08:45:37

Yes you can claim Carers Allowance. Your fostering fee will be disregarded as income

Cassimin Thu 26-Oct-17 16:23:29

I am with an ifa and my f child receives dla.
Our agency doesn't offer any extra payments for children with disabilities.
I claimed dla for the child ( was told to by IRO) and when it was granted I claimed carers allowance.
I rang them and explained I was foster carer and it was assessed and I now receive £60 per week.

fos6mo3 Thu 26-Oct-17 16:44:33

Thanks all for the replies x

Mrstrumpalot Fri 27-Oct-17 20:19:50

And bear in mind that any carers allowance you receive may be subject to tax and will have to be put on your tax return.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: