Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

What would you want to know?

(8 Posts)
swizzlestix Fri 20-Oct-17 06:15:04

As a foster carer attending a training session about 'promoting the health of children in care' what info would be helpful for you to be covered please?
Many thanks

SpottydogDomino Fri 20-Oct-17 09:47:52

Mental health.

If that is addressed (most) other things fall into place. The child's feelings and emotions directly affect wellbeing and health.

Caulk Fri 20-Oct-17 09:48:53

Mental health as well, specifically resilience.

fasparent Fri 20-Oct-17 11:11:14

Level of attachment's, separation and loss. promoting self esteem
One child had 57 placements before he came, placement can be placed with a friend, relation, foster care, child was age 7.

sparklymarion Sat 21-Oct-17 09:03:41

Faspatent that is horrendous !!
Poor little boy.

Attachment, drugs in relation to mental health and how this affects a young person and what to look for.

Depression in young children,

Play and other outlets to help children that we foster

swizzlestix Sat 21-Oct-17 21:38:02

That is heartbreaking...
Thank you so much that's so helpful. Is there anything from a physical health point of view?
Caring for babies experiencing neonatal abstinence syndrome?

SpottydogDomino Sun 22-Oct-17 14:19:53

Newborns just need love and security and to bond. Yes, they need good food and a clean bum but it really all boils down to mental health in the end.

I remember an experiment from my college days on monkey babies who were given a choice of "robotic" (artificial) mums in a lab setting. The choice was a warm furry cuddling comforting robotic monkey mum or a cold hard steel food giving monkey mum. Guess which one the baby monkies preferred?

Even for newborns the need for love, security, bonding, attachment and predictable and safe loving care is paramount, even over the need for food if you want to grow up stable and with good overall health.

swizzlestix Sun 22-Oct-17 17:18:27

That's so true spottydog, I remember watching the experiment too, speaks volumes.
Yes I totally agree, good mental health from being in the womb onwards underpins everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now