Talk

Advanced search

Fostering

(3 Posts)
wanting2b Wed 20-Sep-17 16:49:41

Hi, I am new to this site.
I'm 34 and I get married in 10 days!! My future husband to be and I have tried to conceive for the last 4 years but we have decided not to go forward with IVF treatment for various reasons. We both don't have any children from previous relationships. We spoke about fostering and adoption and we know it is not a solution for the lack of a child, I just want to be a mum no matter how it happens. To be able to give a child a loving home would be amazing. I have 2 godchildren which I see regularly who are 6 and 4 years of age. My Husband to be has his family close by to where we live but my family are quite scattered but we see them quite often. My older sibling is not overly keen on children although she has always said that it would be different if I had children. Would the SW when we have our visit be concerned about this? I have friends close by and my partners family would be my network. I am also a member of the local Rotary club where we raise money for various charities including childrens charities locally and nationwide. Any other advice anyone could reccommend would help. We will start the process after the wedding.
Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
bexollie Fri 22-Sep-17 00:35:52

I want really see that all these things are that important. The most important thing is if you could gI've ahome to a troubled child and could you meet their needs . A support network is important but friends can provide this not just family. The other thing is as much as you want to be a mum to a child these children have mums and dads it s just that they cannot live with them for whatever reason and this may be for a short time or a long time. You aren't replacing their parents but providing care and attention u til they move on . Obviously adoption is different but do remember these children all have attachment difficulties and might not guve you the same live you give them It can take a long time for them to learn to trust you

wanting2b Fri 22-Sep-17 09:16:57

Hi Bexollie
Thanks for replying. I do get what you are saying and I understand that I won't be replacing their parents, I wasn't clear on that point. To be able to provide safety and support for however long they stay and knowing that what ever myself and my partner have done what we can for them. We have done lots of research into fostering and I am sure it will be tougher than what other parents go through.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in